Fave under-$500 vocal mic's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Fave under-$500 vocal mic's

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:25 am

I hope this ain't too much like a GS thread, but I'm curious what others are using, wanna state what I am.

MD421n
ADK A-51 V
CAD M149
EV 635a (BV's)
Shure SM63 L (BV's)
Various AKG D's (for BV's)

I was using a AT4040 but that got moved to OH duty and stays in my mobile case. I just got a RE10 and a N/D257A what might get some use ... I also have a RE320 and some SDC's I wanna explore some more.

Other than the 421, I paid US$10-80 for each of the others.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:39 am

I like my blue baby bottle and stellar cm-6 a lot. I usually use other stuff for vocals most of the time now though.
A borrowed RE-20 can bwe nice.

If i was looking for another vocal mic for cheap i'd probably look at a shinybox or a cascade vin-jet or a kel HM7u.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 am

Sm7

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 am

Shure SM7b (This should be the first mic anyone ever buys...such a useful beast.)
AT 4047sv
AT 4050
EV 635A (I use it for doubling vocals all of the time)
OktavaMod MK-012 (background vocals, doubled vocals, omni cap if you have it...just pop filter the shit out of this mic first!)

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 am

I actually use the 635a based on your reco's; the omni makes it fit quite nicely with other tracks, kinda like it's pre-EQ'd without being at all strident or peaky.

But as far as ribbons, the cheap Chinee ones I have tried (MXL144, NOS R2) are "difficult", very dark and not very exciting, but cool on jazzier stuff - they go nice with fretless bass, somehow.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:37 am

yeah the cheap short ribbons i've tried were too dark for me.
I have usa long ribbons now that are my favorites for lots of stuff, but i've heard good stuff about the chinese long ribbons too.

I tracked a vocal the other day that was a little dull with just a ribbon and a little thin with just an re-20, but with both together it was perfect.

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 pm

I like the AT-4033.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:59 pm

blungo2 wrote:I like my blue baby bottle
What are you using for a pre? I have an original Latvian BB that I like for acoustic guitars and piano but it never quite works for me on vocals. I wouldn't call it harsh (especially compared to Chinese condensors) but it has a hard quality to the sound.

Anyway -

M88
SM7
Apex 405 ribbon (although you need a pre with tons of gain and a high pass filter)
Oktava MK219 (modded)

The 421, M88 and SM7 are all different flavours of the same kind of thing IMHO. I don't prefer one over the other in general. It's a matter of picking whichever works best for a particular singer.
The 405 has tons and tons of low end junk so you'll need a high pass filter. It takes hi freq EQ really well so it's easy to brighten it up .
The Oktava MK219 is quite dark for a condenser but it works really well on all kinds of voices without getting peaky or sibilant.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:00 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
blungo2 wrote:I like my blue baby bottle
What are you using for a pre? I have an original Latvian BB that I like for acoustic guitars and piano but it never quite works for me on vocals. I wouldn't call it harsh (especially compared to Chinese condensors) but it has a hard quality to the sound.

Anyway -

M88
SM7
Apex 405 ribbon (although you need a pre with tons of gain and a high pass filter)
Oktava MK219 (modded)

The 421, M88 and SM7 are all different flavours of the same kind of thing IMHO. I don't prefer one over the other in general. It's a matter of picking whichever works best for a particular singer.
The 405 has tons and tons of low end junk so you'll need a high pass filter. It takes hi freq EQ really well so it's easy to brighten it up .
The Oktava MK219 is quite dark for a condenser but it works really well on all kinds of voices without getting peaky or sibilant.
A few different ones at various times, Sytek, Altec, Ward Beck and the pres in my UFX.
I've liked it with all of them at different times.

Have you ever used the M88 on snare? Just curious. What do you find yourself using it on the most.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:32 pm

A used Blue Blueberry just sneaks under the $500 line.

If you can stretch a little further, a Groove Tubes MD1 is nice.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:01 pm

blungo2 wrote: Have you ever used the M88 on snare? Just curious. What do you find yourself using it on the most.
I have 2 and they both get used in lots of applications on every session. They're definitely a multi-purpous mic for me (unlike other mics in my locker that I really only like on one or 2 applications).

Kick, toms, sometimes snare (but not that often), under snare, hand percussion, guitar amps, bass amps, upright bass, Fender Rhodes, vocals (especially scratch vocal in the room with the band).............really just about everything. It's not always first pick depending on what else is available but it always sounds good.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
blungo2 wrote: Have you ever used the M88 on snare? Just curious. What do you find yourself using it on the most.
I have 2 and they both get used in lots of applications on every session. They're definitely a multi-purpous mic for me (unlike other mics in my locker that I really only like on one or 2 applications).

Kick, toms, sometimes snare (but not that often), under snare, hand percussion, guitar amps, bass amps, upright bass, Fender Rhodes, vocals (especially scratch vocal in the room with the band).............really just about everything. It's not always first pick depending on what else is available but it always sounds good.
Thanks! An M88 is on my list, i've heard before that they're great for scratch vocals too.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:06 pm

I really like the Blue Dragonfly on lots of voices. SM7 for sure. I still occasionally like a 58 on vocals more often than you would think.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:45 am

Beyer M-500!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:21 am

I got my Langevin CR3As for under $400 each, and they're quite nice.