ear trumpet labs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

ear trumpet labs

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Did a quick search of the board, did not find anything.

Wondering if anyone has come across these guys: http://www.eartrumpetlabs.com/products/microphones/

They look beautiful. Wondering if they sound that way.

There is a positive write up about one of them on recording hacks but thats all I've been able to find.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:26 pm

I just bought an edwina, barely just unpacked it. So far just tried it on somewhat screamy vocals and loudish punky guitar cab. I liked it on both. It's a condensor that sounds a bit like a dynamic. Not much proximity effect, doesn't break up easily. I'm looking forward to trying it on floor tom actually.

My initial impression is that it could work on a lot of sources where the above qualities are desired. It is an impressive looking mic and could be used as a weapon in a pinch.
I also plan on trying it on a male vocalist who usually likes an re-20.

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 pm

This sounds very promising. I would love to hear how it works out on floor tom for you.

I am really curious about the "Edna" model - haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere - despite that aesthetic considerations have me wanting to buy two....

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm curious about the edna too, i was wondering how it might be for snare, but i'm pretty good in the snare mic dept and sdc stuff in general for now. Still, i'd like to hear one.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 am

they certainly look interesting. I bet teh copper will develop a nice patina over time. I see that they mention they use high quality capacitors and resistors etc. Anyone know if these are plain old Sino-capsules or something else?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:38 pm

I read somewhere that they're chinese capsules, but that he's pretty rigorous with the quality control on them.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:05 pm

there certainly are some decent pro quality mics using Chinese capsules in their mics. I would just love to hear of someone using Russian, East European or some other countries capsules. Do the Chinese import-export companies have that market totally sewed up?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:17 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:there certainly are some decent pro quality mics using Chinese capsules in their mics. I would just love to hear of someone using Russian, East European or some other countries capsules. Do the Chinese import-export companies have that market totally sewed up?
I think there are a lot of factors involved. I guess the chinese are able to make rapid changes in production to suit various specs as well as keep costs down and quality high. I'm hearing that applies to a bunch of other stuff besides electronics too.

I guess no one can compete with them on tunaround time from initial design to finished product. I hear you really have to shop around in other countries to get what you want built to the specs you want in a given timeframe at a given cost.

pgraham
audio school

Post by pgraham » Fri May 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Just found this thread. Only been a browser here before... I make these mics, happy to answer any questions, albeit in a flagrantly biased way. But you may be interested, I've added a few recording samples on the Edwina product page, and I have some studio friends working on getting me some more (more sources, more mics) that I should be posting shortly. Thanks for the interest!
Philip Graham
Proprietor - Bricoleur
Ear Trumpet Labs
"Microphones of Distinction"

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 am

very cool stuff.

i will say, design aesthetics are eerily similar to Scodiddly's awesome work, including the product naming conventions - female names, including an Audrey...
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

pgraham
audio school

Post by pgraham » Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm

llmonty wrote:very cool stuff.

i will say, design aesthetics are eerily similar to Scodiddly's awesome work, including the product naming conventions - female names, including an Audrey...
Not surprising, Scodiddly is my hero. His designs got me into mic building years ago, as has been the case for many others. His aesthetic was inspiring too, and his spirit of experimentation, but I don't think any of our designs are actually that similar. Does he have an Audrey? I had forgotten, if I ever knew... I don't see one on his web site.
Philip Graham
Proprietor - Bricoleur
Ear Trumpet Labs
"Microphones of Distinction"

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon May 07, 2012 7:06 pm

I have a pair of his Alice mics and he had a version with a slightly different sound that he called Audrey.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue May 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Hi Phillip,
I'm really enjoying the edwina, been using it on vocals a bit lately.

I have a somewhat hypothetical question. I've been considering another edwina to use in a stereo pair (XY, ORTF, etc.). Not that it's that big a deal but how closely are different units matched? If i was to purchase another, would it work pretty well in a stereo pair?

thanks.

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Post by williamsongs » Wed May 23, 2012 3:19 pm

Am I hallucinating, or did the listed prices go up substantially since this thread began last month?
"Sounds to me like you're just a little bit cranky"

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed May 23, 2012 3:28 pm

pgraham wrote:
llmonty wrote:very cool stuff.

Not surprising, Scodiddly is my hero. His designs got me into mic building years ago, as has been the case for many others. His aesthetic was inspiring too, and his spirit of experimentation, but I don't think any of our designs are actually that similar. Does he have an Audrey? I had forgotten, if I ever knew... I don't see one on his web site.
Yup, I've had an Audrey for several years now. It's not really on the website, being a variation on the Alice.

Anyway, some neat-looking designs. I'm curious about the frequency plot shown for the Edwina - how was that measured, and how much smoothing of the trace? If you've got a test chamber that smooth I'll be totally jealous. 8)