What are your favorite reference songs? (and Equator D5)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

What are your favorite reference songs? (and Equator D5)

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Just got my set of Equator D5's. I read the Tape-Op review and then a lot more reviews on various forums and decided to take the plunge as most review were pretty positive (if not extremely positive)

I have a pair of Dynaudio BM6a MKii as my main monitors and had been using a pair of M-Audio BX5a's for "second opinion".

the D5's are far from broken in as I've only done maybe an hour of listening so far - but so far i like them. They do sound similar to the Dynaudios on the top end, but they have much less low frequency content - but still have quite a lot for their size - nice tight kick drums. I can see where they will be useful for listening to midrange too. There might be a little less very high frequency response too (the Dynaudios reveal more "air"). I'll have to see what happens after more hours of use.

In contrast the M-Audio BX5a's sound like nails on the chalkboard. The lows are actually not that bad for the size but the high-mids and highs kill me. and since both cost around $300/pair new, I'd definitely recommend the Equator's over the M-audio.

some of the songs I like to use as reference:

AC DC - Back in Black
Ingrid Michaelson - Incredible Love
Miles Davis - Bye Bye Blackbird (can you hear the scratchy pot/fader in the first couple seconds?)
Steely Dan - Aja
Robert Cray - Labor of Love
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take 5

What songs do you use as reference?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm still on the fence with mine. They have an odd "bite/zing" in the highs that I can't quite put my finger on. It actually sounds like it might be the DSP mucking something up around 4-5K, but I can't tell for sure (sounds "plastic-y" if that makes sense). Definitely NOT a crappy pair of cheap monitors, but I'm not sure I'm hearing what the (seemingly endless) hype is about.

I'd lean towards my crappy Mimus 4" full-range speakers as a second "midrange focused" reference against the "Full Range" Dynaudio AIR-15 (plus dual Air-Base-2 subs) setup I use for my main monitoring.

They might grow on me (and I could break them in a bit more thoroughly) - but I think I'm done playing with cheap monitors with hopes of greatness ;) The math just doesn't add up :-P

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 pm

I thought you were gonna say you use the Equators' "Hot" record as a reference. I could get behind that. The first one is a timeless classic and the tribute/remake is pretty slammin'.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:33 am

I'll use FM instead of Aja. If there is any amount of hi-frequency hype in the system, you'll know immediately. And the guitar and sax leads tend to be good indicators of how bad the 1.6-ish-ness is.

I like either Morcheeba's Trigger Hipper or Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up to check out the subs.
Prog out with your cog out.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I use a combination of things I know well, and things I've worked on.

Usually something from Richard Thompson's Rumor and Sigh, some Ben Folds, some Backyard Tire Fire. maybe something from Los Lobos Colossal Head.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: What are your favorite reference songs? (and Equator D5)

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah I read the review and checked them out but am a bit skeptical...having taken the plunge.

In regards to the low frequency response...I do a lot of music with low electronic elements that I'm afraid of losing touch with...how do they stack up on such music?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:53 pm

I have the Dynaudio BM6a mkII for that - the Equator's definitely do not have that kind of low end, but then if I recall correctly they spec the low end at 70Hz so I would not expect it (I think the Dynaudios spec at 40 or 42Hz and I've pretty much disconnected my sub as I never use it).

but they do surprisingly well for their size. you get more of the attack from the kick drum and not as much boom. likewise with a low synth or bass guitar you don't get the low rumble that you might feel.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 pm

The ubiquitous Steely Dan, Shaun Colvin, any good Blue Note Jazz (Wayne Shorter), a variety of Blues and Rock stuff (Black Crows), material I've worked on and know well, and usually something genre-specific to the style we're working on at the time.

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 am

I put on a couple of albums I know well, as opposed to specific songs, when I'm trying to calibrate myself to a new room. It often depends on the type of session, but it almost always involves Los Lobos' Colossal Head. Other favorites include Son Volt's Trace, Owsley's self-titled first album, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant's Walking Into Clarksdale, Jellyfish's Spilt Milk, Nina Nastasia's The Blackened Air, and if it's a jazz thing, usually a Scofield or T.J. Kirk album engineered by James Farber or Joe Ferla. I'll also usually play something I worked on that I know well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri May 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Usually something from Gary Pacoza, Tchad Blake, Andy Wallace, Michael Brauer...people who are mixing records that are on the radio if that's the band's goal.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 pm

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat May 05, 2012 10:01 am

Keith Richard's second solo record "Main Offender" may not have great songs but it's super wide range, hi fi.

You can almost hear his strap locks rattling.

The 'reggae' tune "Words of Wonder" was mixed by Joe Blainey. Super detailed mix.

I can tell where I'm at in a new studio with just a few songs from this one.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat May 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Hey! I like those songs! :lol:

Forty Licks is a great resource.

Oddly enuff, I sometimes lately like Peel Sessions things to reference to (Chameleons UK, JAMC, Psych Furs, etc.); I just like their raw sounds and vibe.

Re-mastered Led Zep, for an unreachable goal.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ricey
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ricey » Sun May 06, 2012 2:39 pm

anything with a dip at 6 kHz should sound good on those speakers.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 07, 2012 3:48 am

Also, something from Bob Marley/The Wailers like "Small Axe."

GJ