What do you monitor with?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

What do you monitor with?

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon May 28, 2012 11:30 am

Just wonderin'....
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 28, 2012 11:55 am

Eh, them would be my ears. :twisted:

Aiight, I actually like these kinda threads.

Main monitiors are Tannoy PBM 6.5II's, followed by Auratones and Optimus 77's through a 100 w./ch. Technics receiver. Of course, I check the mixes on the living-room stereo (150 w./ch.Yamaha with Klipsch Synergy B3's and a pair of Yama powered subs - like brestez and ballz, subs are best in pairs), and sometimes a cuppla bookshelf systems (Aiwa in the kitchen, Panasonic in the WC). Then there's my bedroom system (H/K rec. into Optimus Pro 7's), and my '96 Dodge pickup.

Oh, and I always check stuff at the orifice (more Optimus 77's), and the Discman (I like Sony MDR earphones), as well as my Sony 7506 cans.

And my mixes still suck. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Mon May 28, 2012 12:00 pm

vvv wrote:
And my mixes still suck. :twisted:
Hey... I like yer stuff... Ya I always gotta throw the mix in the truck stereo as well and listen on a set of wal-mart grade headphones before I let the world listen...
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon May 28, 2012 1:25 pm

PMC LB1s, driven by an Adcom 535. I check on headphones (audio technica ath-m50), and on computer speakers. Generally, the PMCs tell me what I need to know.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Mon May 28, 2012 6:37 pm

NS10's with QSC amp. Probably 'wrong', but the mixes come out well.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon May 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Seems like there was a very similar thread recently, but here goes.

Mains, old klipsch heresies slightly modded. Near, avantone mixcube. additional, the car stereo, macbook pro speakers, really crappy sony bookshelf speakers, akg 701s.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Mon May 28, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, people sure love 'em or hate 'em, but I've been using Mackie HR 824s ever since I started recording. They're 1st gen USA made, which some folks think make a difference, but I've only heard the newer Mackie versions in stores, so no real experience. I should also note that I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro, and I probably spend a tiny fraction of the time recording/mixing that a lot of folks on this board do.

I think the 824s fall somewhere between the camps of really accurate and too flattering. I hear a lot of detail in them.

Anything that I'm trying to put out to the world as a finished product will also get a couple of listen on old Cerwin Vega D-8s, Optimus 77s, and some bookshelf JBLs, at least.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Truth Audio TA-1P currently with an Alesis amp I don't like much. I need to bug my friend/tech for my Rotel back. There's also my little Rat Shack guys, but one is a little fuzzy. There's also the mono guy on the Studer, but I often forget that it's there.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 28, 2012 11:06 pm

JBL 4328Ps
Yamaha MSP5s
Auratone 5Cs
Onkyo surround home theater system
Sony MD7506 headphones
Sony earbuds
Creative SoundBlaster earbuds
Apple iPod standard earbuds
Chevy Traverse stereo system
Chevy HHR sound system
iPhone built in speakers

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 29, 2012 5:42 am

I've learned to know and trust:

Auratones
Most of the ADAM line
NS10s

Lots of other speakers are great too, but I like to have one of the above around so that I don't get lost. Luckily, my Auratones are pretty easy to bring to the rare studios that don't have at least one of the above.

It's also good to have a crappy set of small, modern powered desktop speakers that you know well. I have a no-name knock-off brand that I like because I hear the radio streams through it all the time when I'm writing/emailing/trolling-the-TOMB on my laptop.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Event TR-8s, but one of them has developed an ever so slight radio transmission problem - I've learned to ignore it, but it sucks nevertheless. I've tried different outlets, cables, everything. Damn problem seemed to come out of nowhere.

Chuck Cheesman
audio school graduate

Adam A7

Post by Chuck Cheesman » Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 pm

I use Adam A7 monitors in my home studio. They were a huge upgrade from headphones and Edirol monitors. However, we primarily do tracking here and then leave the heavy lifting (mixing & mastering) to the professionals. But even for tracking, it's been great getting a decent read on the tones we're dumping into the machine. I like these a lot.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Monitors: Axiom m2
Sub: Polk Audio PSW12
Amp: - Adcom GFA-535
Headphones- AKG K240

Those are what I do my critical listening through. I am extremely pleased with this set up.

Other things to listen through
Sennheiser HD 202 headphones
JVC HA-G101 headphones
MEE earbuds
random stuff like laptop speakers, car speaker, other stereo set up through out the house.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 am

Mid 1970's Klipsch cornerhorns with McIntosh C-11 preamp through a Hafler D500 amplifier. I also have a pair of NS-10s and Event ASP8's. I have absolutely no issues with my mixes translating using the Klipsch.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed May 30, 2012 8:44 am

KRK Rokit 8's.

For the price they've been great. I've started to develop a sense of their inaccuracies over the past few years of using them. I think they scoop out a little bit of the fog around 300- 600 hz, and add some detail to the highs that isn't totally there when things are reviewed on other systems.

I'm trying to work around it, but an upgrade is eventually inevitable. I've been looking at Focals. They're pricy though, so it might be a long time. I've got this new- "wait a year and buy the best"- theory that has slowed down my purchasing power.