Where Does The Rhythm Come From?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

orchardking
audio school

Where Does The Rhythm Come From?

Post by orchardking » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Here we go.

This is my first post. I've been lurking around the board for a couple of days and dig the pace.

Here's my band, from Portland OR.

http://talkative.bandcamp.com

Trying to bridge the gap between modern pop/rock and the noise and weirdness of that one off feedback stuff. We all mainly play acoustic instruments but everyone has at least one delay module and a few other electronic/digital noise makers. Big fans of feedback and heavy rhythms.

Light Years is our second full length. We are recording a third right now, which is what brought me here. We're almost done with our third full length and a lot of the issues we had with Light Years (which we thought we had solved) in the mix and levels I feel like are rearing their heads once again. If anyone has any tips for recording music where we constantly run into issues with headroom I would love to hear them.

Hope you guys enjoy it, and if you're in Portland you should really consider coming out to some shows. We do projectors and usually have a pretty diverse show. Hope to see some of you there.

Our next is July 27th at Kelly's Olympian where we'll be doing a tape-run of our current full length. Thanks.

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Cool stuff.

Regarding your issues with headroom, linked below is one of the best threads in the history of the tapeop messageboard. Essentially make sure that you are hitting your digital converters at the level they are calibrated for (likely around -18 dBFS). Do NOT try to "use all the bits" and hit them only slightly below digital clipping.
Perhaps you already knew this but when this thread developed it was revelatory for many (me included).

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... c&&start=0

orchardking
audio school

Post by orchardking » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 am

That's exactly the kind of stuff I've been looking for. Thanks dude.

Old long arms
audio school

Post by Old long arms » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm

I usually don't like vocals drenched in reverb, but I think this sounds great. I have no idea how to help you with the headroom problems, I just enjoyed the tune.

Greener
studio intern

Post by Greener » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:14 am

A very interesting person asked me a very difficult question recently when I was already up to my eyeballs in shit to concentrate on...
He asked me about the relationship between Rhythm, Melody and Harmony.

I say that Rhythm drives Melody and her friends to work hard for the point... Harmony.

What is the Rhythm?
Who are the Melodies?
How is Harmony going to pay for everything?

Important questions...