Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:55 am

RTS Systems HPM-41 4-channel mono mixer. Similar in form to those ubiquitous Shure broadcast mixers, but with way more options on input and heftier guts. Some more info here.

Wonder how much it would cost to have this bad boy modded for direct outputs?

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 am

lexicon pcm 81 for $200, so new the blue protective tape was still covering the display screen...

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:36 am

My friend is clearing out his great-aunt's house and found this, which he gave to me. It's a Wollensak T-1515 with the original mic and some other stuff. The guts are real clean. Hopefully I can track down an AC cord, and I'll probably take it to Aztech in Boston for a checkup next time I'm there.

Vintage tubes were still in it, including two GE 12ax7's and an RCA 12at7 blackplate.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:06 pm

lyman wrote:My friend is clearing out his great-aunt's house and found this, which he gave to me. It's a Wollensak T-1515 with the original mic and some other stuff. The guts are real clean. Hopefully I can track down an AC cord, and I'll probably take it to Aztech in Boston for a checkup next time I'm there.

Vintage tubes were still in it, including two GE 12ax7's and an RCA 12at7 blackplate.

I have a couple of these, and always wondered what could be done with them. I haven't found power cords either.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:17 pm

This isn't for recording, but I picked up a Sansui AU-4400 stereo integrated amp at a yard sale in town today for a dollar. Typical mid-70's overbuilt loveliness with hi and lo pass filters, loudness, and some other bells and whistles.

We just married it to the Technics turntable in our living room, and ran some old Preservation Hall jazz records through it to test it out while we made dinner. Sounds rad!

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:06 am

Mint Lexicon MPX-500 off ebay. Now I understand the whole Lexicon Lush thing. Not bad so far.

Also, just bought an RNLA and an Overstayer VCA comp from the GS classified.

I had an RNC for about a minute and although I probably didn't really give it a fair shake, I just couldn't get into it. However, in my quest for a lower cost otb reboot, I am going to give the RNLA a shot.

The Overstayer was kind of an impulse. I have never really been able to make the straight up SSL sound on the mix buss work, but this sounds pretty interesting and it was pretty cheap used.

Finally I have two Lindell Audio 7x-500 1176 type compressors on order. I really need to save space and these "mini" 1176s seem like just the ticket. At $300 they are cheaper than I can build one and take up one lunchbox space as opposed to 2 rack spaces and have a different feature set; no 12:1 ration, but with a wet/dry mix knob and high pass. Look super interesting but aren't shipping till end of the month.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Smitty wrote:This isn't for recording, but I picked up a Sansui AU-4400 stereo integrated amp at a yard sale in town today for a dollar. Typical mid-70's overbuilt loveliness with hi and lo pass filters, loudness, and some other bells and whistles.

That's tight! Very nice score, especially for the price. I briefly had in a late 70s Sansui receiver recently, and it sounded smooth, rich and deep with wonderful detail. I had to part with it, because it was WAY too much stereo for this household.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Here's one for the vintage analog drum machine museum: a very clean example of an Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-1, circa 1967. Ace Tone would go on to become Roland a few years later, so this unit is an ancestor of the famed Roland TR808 Rhythm Composer from 1980. Although this is no 808, there is a striking similarity to the tone quality of the 808 kick and snare sounds. This one was kept in the same family all these years, and still has the original foot switch and protective vinyl cover. It's nearly as big as a guitar amplifier head, and it still chugs along flawlessly.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:26 pm

EasyGo wrote:This one was kept in the same family all these years, and still has the original foot switch and protective vinyl cover.
Nice! :^:

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 am

dwelle wrote:lexicon pcm 81 for $200, so new the blue protective tape was still covering the display screen...
Awesome!
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:38 am

allbaldo wrote:
lyman wrote:My friend is clearing out his great-aunt's house and found this, which he gave to me. It's a Wollensak T-1515 with the original mic and some other stuff. The guts are real clean. Hopefully I can track down an AC cord, and I'll probably take it to Aztech in Boston for a checkup next time I'm there.

I have a couple of these, and always wondered what could be done with them. I haven't found power cords either.
Cool, if I come across any info on the cords I'll pass it along. I'm eager to try out the mic, maybe I'll do that now....hopefully it sounds like crap. A good bad mic can be a great thing.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:36 pm

1958 Fender tweed Harvard (on the left)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm

EasyGo wrote:
Smitty wrote:This isn't for recording, but I picked up a Sansui AU-4400 stereo integrated amp at a yard sale in town today for a dollar. Typical mid-70's overbuilt loveliness with hi and lo pass filters, loudness, and some other bells and whistles.

That's tight! Very nice score, especially for the price. I briefly had in a late 70s Sansui receiver recently, and it sounded smooth, rich and deep with wonderful detail. I had to part with it, because it was WAY too much stereo for this household.
Nice craigslist found late seventies Pioneer SA-9500 II from a few months back and it has been a pleasure.

Not as sexy as yours, but here's my 1974 I believe Rythym Ace a few years retro cheesy fun in the best sense. Last time used I ran its output through an effectron and a delay for beat variance for some good time repeater looping. Designed to look like furniture with your Hammond.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:24 pm

^ sweet ^

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Small (6-8 inch diameter; haven't measured) fiberglass djembe with pre-tuned plastic head. So small, pre-tuned, and un-djembe-like that it makes a perfect budget doumbek. So now I have a darabuka, _and_ a doumbek, so, y'know, I've got that going for me...

GJ