The most awesome portable 4-track setup. Help me pleez.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

The most awesome portable 4-track setup. Help me pleez.

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 am

since my half-inch machine and board are going to be out of commission for a while (re-capping, re-lapping, etc; plus I am moving in a month), I thought I'd put together an awesome portable 4-track setup.

The stuff I already have:
Portastudio 424mk III in ecellent condish.
Power conditioner
2 channel compressor/gate
Headphone amp (4 channel, not rack mountable. very small.)
Patch bay (see below)
mics, cables

Questions:
I need phantom power and maybe the ability to mix multiple mics to one input. Can anybody suggest rack mountable phantom supplies and/or small, simple rack mixers?

It'd be useful to also have a multi-effects unit (or even just reverb) for use with the portastudio's two sends. Preferably two channels, but not necessary. Must be affordable. Most likely I'll buy this used. suggestions?

I recently acquired a Behringer Ultrapatch Pro for 30 bucks, which is close to the limit that I'll spend on any Behringer product. I'd like to integrate this, but I'm looking for suggestions on how to set it up. There are 24 pairs of 1/4" jacks, each selectable between Normal, Half Normal, Parallel, and Open modes.

The rack will eventually look like this:
Power conditioner
Patch bay
Phantom supply
Mixer
Compressor
Effects unit

so eventually all I'd need to carry around would be a crate full of mics, a crate full of cables, the rack, the 4-track, and stands.

Any suggestions or advice are very welcome and appreciated!

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:06 pm

something simple like these would be great, if only they had rack ears...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProMix/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Phantom2Pro/

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Does phantom have to be rackmount? A mic pre would of course fit the bill.

It's in the attic right now, but my Sound Workshop 1280b doesn't have phantom, so a while ago I picked up a 6-channel AKG box that goes on the floor. Also a tiny battery-powered Whirlwind box that's pretty handy. I think in a crate somewhere I have a Rolls phantom box that plugs in with a wall wart. All are pretty handy and useful boxes to have around.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I did see a nice 6 channel rolls phantom supply somewhere under 200 after I posted that; I think that might be what I go with. A nice set of pres would be cool but I'm not really interested in spending over 200 on any unit in the rack.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Maybe an old Symetrix 202 mic pre could be found... 2 channels of pretty good preamps with phantom power in a 1/2 space unit. 4 of them in 1 rack space, and I think they go for around $100-$150 maybe. Here's one with the "Monte Montgomery Mod":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Symetrix-SX-202 ... 2ebf90dd8c

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:00 pm

You ought to be able to find some kind of used cheap rack mixer/pres for less than the dedicated phantom supply from Rolls. I believe someone in the Buy/Sell forum had some kind of Yamaha 4 or 8 channel pre with phantom for less, if you're going to spend $200 you might as well get some pres while you're at it 8)

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:08 pm

It may actually be more worth it to get pres not strictly to have new pres, but rather to have phase switches, pads, etc.