Getting clicks when recording audio on REAPER

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Getting clicks when recording audio on REAPER

Post by hugheju » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:04 pm

I've tried adjusting the buffer sizes but am not sure if I am doing it right, nothing seems to stop the clicks/pops. I just installed 3.75, an earlier version was working great before but my hard drive crashed and I have been setting the computer up again. My interface is an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R.

Ready to get up and running again, so close but these pops are annoying! :(
Record it before you forget it. You can always record it better later.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:00 am

look at the sticky on the top of this forum.

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Post by hugheju » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:08 am

Yeah? I have looked at both stickies and see nothing about this problem. My computer has no audio at all. I see a lot of cool plug ins that sound awesome to mess around with if I can get basic recording functions going. The other sticky is about time clocks, those two are all I see. I am stumped easily by very simple things so any help no matter how basic would be awesome.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 am

What's your operating system? You can do a web search for "optimize Windows 7 for audio recording" (or whatever OS you're using) to get some good hints.

Also, you may want to download the free DPC Latency Checker to see if you can figure out what's happening; their web page has some good troubleshooting information on it that's worth reading.

It's usually a good idea disable any antivirus software, firewalls and wireless network devices, too (you probably don't won't to have any internet connections active when recording, especially if you have all your securities turned off).

Oh, and make sure all your drivers are up to date. Hopefully some of that helps.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:08 am

Besides all of that, have you tried running the latest version? It's up to 4.something now.

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Post by hugheju » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:43 am

This is a very old thread, I solved it by switching USB ports. Now my problem is just installing the driver for my m-audio ultra 8R after the latest crash. Here is the new thread: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=80812

I am still stumped how to get this thing up and running. Even some clicks would be better than no audio at all.

hugheju
pluggin' in mics

Post by hugheju » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:37 pm

sorry in my desperation I did not read the dates correctly and got my threads confused :roll:

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Dude (or Dudette),

Help us help you. Provide waaaay more information.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:00 pm

Avoid MS Word and it's associated web of problems. Run it on something else, or maybe an external drive you can set up to boot to in your bios It's also good to list your computer components, memory, cpu ram and anything else connected to it. Also disable your internet, that can do it, as well.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:26 pm

You have no audio at all? What about when you play an mp3 or cd with your computer..do you have audio then?

In Reaper's preferences, check your audio settings and make sure that you have the correct soundcard or interface selected. Outside of that, make sure the card isn't disabled and that you have up to date drivers for it.