Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:11 am

KSM27 for US$130 (shipped) offa the evilBog - I believe that's a bit of a score!

I also recently took delivery onna Lanier DM1525 for US$15 (shipped); it's a cheapo Japanese copy allegedly of a Shure SM63. I have a SM63, however, and they sound not at all alike, other than the omninessossity. That said, it's another flava, albeit kinda thin and cheap.

And I gotta Rocktron Austin Gold overdrive - sweetly transparent with "pore-bass" - I want everyone to believe these things suck as I try and find another for US$29 (shipped).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 am

kslight wrote:
LimpyLoo wrote:Roland SH-101

Tascam 388

(not bad considering I'm poor :( )
I had a blue SH 101 for a couple years...sold it to KMFDM for a tidy profit. Of course, now they are worth even more....which I never really understood...its definitely not worth the eBay value to me...

+1 on 388!
The SH-101 is my favorite synth in the universe. I know they're getting expensive, but if you ask me they are worth every penny .

:D

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 am

LimpyLoo wrote:
kslight wrote:

Tascam 388

I had a blue SH 101 for a couple years...sold it to KMFDM for a tidy profit. Of course, now they are worth even more....which I never really understood...its definitely not worth the eBay value to me...

+1 on 388!
The SH-101 is my favorite synth in the universe. I know they're getting expensive, but if you ask me they are worth every penny .

Different strokes for different folks I guess :-) I've owned a lot of synths over the years, and I own a lot right now...it just never got me where I wanted to go. For my money the Future Retro 777 did the SH101/303 sound and had a lot more interesting sonic potential, not to mention a great sequencer. But I sold that one too when it became worth a stupid amount of money.

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:30 am

kslight wrote:
LimpyLoo wrote:
kslight wrote:

Tascam 388

+1 on 388!

Different strokes for different folks I guess :-) I've owned a lot of synths over the years, and I own a lot right now...it just never got me where I wanted to go. For my money the Future Retro 777 did the SH101/303 sound and had a lot more interesting sonic potential, not to mention a great sequencer. But I sold that one too when it became worth a stupid amount of money.
I use it 99% for leads. I've heard lots of synths, and no synth does quite what it does. Even the SH-2 and some of the other SH's don't quite have the magic of the 101.

But hey, I grew up on 90's Warp (et all) records, so the 101 has a nostalgia factor for me that heavily skews my perspective on the matter.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:53 pm

It's been a good few months, made some studio moves and personal music moves:
72' RI Tele Deluxe
1974 Neumann original U87
Shure Beta 52 (had a great time comparing it to six other commonly used kick mics for a video)

(pardon the protective plastic still on the pickguard)

My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Just picked up a second Nady RSM-4 ribbon mic off of ebay for $60 shipped. I'm going to rework the ribbon like I just did to my other one and then order up some better transformers for the two of them. Psyched to DIY these into something special.

Also just received my custom racked pair of PM-1000 preamps done by the TOMB's very own Nate Dort. Awesome and beautiful job, sound really great, just used them for some guitar tracks this weekend alongside some borrowed BAE 312s, my CAPI VP26, and my Sytek. Feeling the preamp love lately. Thanks a zillion Nate!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:07 pm

forget weather i posted this yet, or not. its been a while since ive been on here, but ive been slowly re investing in my p.a. equipment.

for 300 dollars i scored a mackie 32.8 console, 2 empty b52 1x15 mains, and 4 empty jbl 1x15 wedges.

i picked up some random sub snakes, eq's, compressors, and other little things cheap to go with the foh rig.

turns out ive been sitting on a gold mine with this whole p.a. rental gig. who knew?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Got in the mail a big assed box of random microhones off eBay today for cheap. Spotted a few in there that together made it worth more than the price of admission.

Also what appears to be an armored patch cable???

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Smitty wrote:Got in the mail a big assed box of random microhones off eBay today for cheap. Spotted a few in there that together made it worth more than the price of admission.

Also what appears to be an armored patch cable???
More like the 'gooseneck' lamp stuff? Last seen in the Star Trek pilot on the bridge!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Love the Senn MD21 (bottom center, next to the cable box), and Unidynes (upper right) are always good. 8) Some kinda AKG bottom center?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 pm

vvv wrote:Love the Senn MD21 (bottom center, next to the cable box), and Unidynes (upper right) are always good. 8) Some kinda AKG bottom center?
Yes, the Unidyne 545 is sweet. Wondering if what you're calling a Sennheiser isn't an Astatic? I have one that looks identical to that.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:37 am

vvv wrote:Love the Senn MD21 (bottom center, next to the cable box),
Actually an Astatic. Not quite as exciting as an MD21. But the AKG & the 545 look delightful.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 am

Ha! Green's been confuzzin' me my whole life ...

My MD21 has the screen out a bit from the chrome ring (like this one) but this evil-Bog one kinda looks like your aAstatic:

Image <--- click

Izzat a AKG on the bottom, with the "sintered" grill?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:52 am

The mic in question is in fact an Astatic 335-H.

The AKG is a D190E, but the element is all rattle-y inside. Starting to go through and test the stuff now.

I think that weird thing is indeed an armored/gooseneck patch cable, btw. TS connections on both ends. Pretty intense. One connection on my patch bay is gonna be SUPER F'N STURDY!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:48 am

That Astatic could be REALLY exciting if you know any blues harp players!

GJ