Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:51 am

Just picked-up a Boss Dr. Sample 202 and Stylophone (the newer pocket version) from another Tape-Opper. Lo-Fi Fun, and some cool additions to the DJ rig.

GJ

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:20 am

Love the stylophones! I have two in the control room along with a cheap magazine project synth and the bands play with those things for hours while people are finishing up overdubs etc.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I've got one of those D190E's. I've used it on BV's and guitar, where it's nice and thin - kinda pre-EQ'd - I'm gonna try it on snare.

The MD21, FWIW, is aiight in the same applications, but is much beefier.

I like the oddball mic's for variation.

EDIT: you can hear both them mics on vox, here.
Last edited by vvv on Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:43 pm

I just ordered 3 Classic API VP26 preamps. 2 for a friend's Brent Averill DLB 2-space desktop lunchbox and the other for my Brent Averill rack (my second so I now have a pair). I'm also ordering a new soldering station off of amazon tonight to put these together over the next few weeks.

If you have a 500-series lunchbox you owe it to yourself to check out this preamp (mine have the red dot op-amp). Kits for DIY are running like $280 and holy smokes after 3 weekends of guitar and bass tracking I am totally in love with this preamp. You can use the preamp gain to totally crank the shit out of the input and dirty it up with some transformer mojo, and the output attenuator can handle anything that you hit it with. I am currently getting the best guitar tones of my life for the new Creepoid record with this preamp using a Nady ribbon into my dbx a 160x in combination with an sm7b through a BAE 312. Totally in love.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:That Astatic could be REALLY exciting if you know any blues harp players!

GJ
Those are cool plugged into a dirty tube amp for stuff like distorted vocals and hand claps. I did some finger snaps through my Astatic into a Gibson tube amp that came out great.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Shure Vocal Master PA mixer thingy with instrument inputs and reverb. $5 at the antiques show today.

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Five dollars?!?!?? Awesome buy!

One of my first serious bands, many, many moons ago-- we had the Shure columns (I believe they were the "vocal masters" that went with that PA) as our monitor system... Two Shure columns, on their sides, facing up from the floor at the front of the stage (usually with a mike box or some such propped underneath to get the proper "wedge" angle). They were pretty effective.

GJ

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Focusrite 40 running dual mode with the dsp 24 for 12 @96 or 20 @ 48 with the AI3.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Finally. About 30 years too late. My first pair. Anybody else's right and left ear canals so different from each other? I always thought the different frequency response on my left and right sides was due to differing degrees of damage, but maybe the fact that one canal is twice the size (and has a stenosis) explains it better.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

DougK
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DougK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:24 am

So the apollo has been a game changer, as is the new mac... can't wait to see how this new buss affects things.
But one thing... c'mon guys, 3k worth of ua hardware, 3k for the laptop, and you don't get a free goddamn thunderbolt cable? !Dicks! Early adopter gets the hot end of the flaming shit stick again...

DougK
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by DougK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 am

Smitty wrote:Shure Vocal Master PA mixer thingy with instrument inputs and reverb. $5 at the antiques show today.

My first pa head... the reverb tank in it was out of control good!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:32 am

Good for you CK! re: ear canal sizes, I've never had a mold fitted or looked inside my own, so I'm not sure, but when I use regular foam ear plugs or even simple ear-bud headphones, one side always goes in easy, and one (left) is a lot harder to get adjusted correctly and seems to be a bit twisted...

GJ

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:03 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:one side always goes in easy, and one is a lot harder to get adjusted correctly and seems to be a bit twisted...
That's what she said.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Picked up a 1997 Epiphone LP Special Double Cutaway. Changed the pups :D and sounds/plays great.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Finally. About 30 years too late. My first pair. Anybody else's right and left ear canals so different from each other? I always thought the different frequency response on my left and right sides was due to differing degrees of damage, but maybe the fact that one canal is twice the size (and has a stenosis) explains it better.
I have had these for maybe 10 or 12 years now. Best money I ever spent. What I really like about them is how, while they aren't flat, they are damn close to flat on the frequency spectrum. It's like just turning a stereo down as opposed to stuffing foam in your ears. Makes loud concerts sound much better as well as when I am playing. And yes, my two canals are totally different.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.