Recommend Mic Cases

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Recommend Mic Cases

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:41 pm

So most of my mics have been purchased on the used market and have come without cases. I think it's about time I got some. Can you guys recommend either specific cases or places to look for them? I'm hoping for the kind with the semi-cut foam on the inside you can just pull out as needed.

Not looking for anything massive, but if I could get a pair of 414s or mics of comparable size in there, I'd be happy.

Thanks!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Pelican cases are a little expensive, but really nice and secure. I have a small one one, and I use it to store 4 SDCs and 2 LDCs. If you use a case with foam, make sure to store the mics in plastic baggies in the cases, so the foam won't get in the mic if it decides to deteriorate.

If you look at the B&H Photo web site, they have lots of different cases.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:44 pm

If you put your mics into plastic bags after use, it doesn't give much chance for the moisture to evaporate. I'd think that'd be more harmful for the mic than the foam dust. Maybe toss a desiccant into the plastic bag?

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 am

Funny you ask, just got focused on this over the weekend. I spent $10 on an old "bartending case". I see these all the time at consignment/thrift stores. Basically small suitcases with leather straps inside for shot glasses and other bartending tools. Am going to order foam for it, but it seems like it will hold probably 3-4 condensers in the main section and a couple of 57/58 sized mics all together. The case is about 13" x 11" x 5". I am going to order the pelican foam which seems easy to work with.

Or just get the pelican cases. For how much they hold and the customizable foam, it seems like a good deal. Especially considering they are waterproof and just about every other thing proof.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:21 am

jhharvest wrote:If you put your mics into plastic bags after use, it doesn't give much chance for the moisture to evaporate. I'd think that'd be more harmful for the mic than the foam dust. Maybe toss a desiccant into the plastic bag?
I don't seal the bags?just put them loosely around the mic. Moisture should be able to get out, but it's a little harder for schmutz to get in.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Lowe's and Home Depot both used to carry cases like that in their tool box section for less than $30. While I wouldn't feel safe letting some airline guy throw the things into the cargo bay of a plane, they're perfectly fine for carrying around a few mics at a time. Last time I checked, the ones at Lowe's had changed in that they had the pull-out foam square section on the bottom of the case, but they'd stopped including the single piece of foam on top.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 pm

On onesaleaday.com I got some really great inexpensive camera cases with perforated foam that I was able to "customize" for different mics. I have five cases for different brands of mics.

This:

Became this:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:59 am

I carry sometimes 10 mic's with me with my recorder, (Zoom R16), etc.; I use a ballistic nylon file case for all of it, with the mic's stuffed in either regular cases (such as the SM58 Shure cases or the AT4040 bags) or pencil cases (for dynamics) or Crown Royal bags (large dynamics and condensors), all of which individual cases are themselves place in cheap fold-able thermal lunch bags, then into the file case. It's a cheap solution, but the mic's are well-protected, easily packed and accessed (label the bags, pack them by use, ex., drum mic's vs. vocal mic's); I've had no damage in 3 years or so.

For non-traveling mic's they are either on stands (floor, or desk stands on shelves) covered with clear plastic bags, or in a clear hanging shoe-holder.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 am

I have some spare cases...either Storm or Pelican, maybe a third brand I can't think of. All in new condition. I'd be happy to give you a deal on them!

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:10 am

Gun cases. Seriously, pistol cases are perfect for SDCs.

Doing classical for the university, all our mics that didn't come with a case are in pistol cases.

Not terribly unlike this:
http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum9012.php

Throw them in the duffle with necessary cabling and go.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

mikeyc
buyin' gear

Post by mikeyc » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 am

IanWalker wrote:Gun cases. Seriously, pistol cases are perfect for SDCs..
+1

Must be a Michigan thing!

Go to the local big box and pick up a gun case. I've been eying the double rifle cases to house my whole collection in one unit, but I've been using a couple pistol and ammo cases for years.

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

mikeyc wrote:
IanWalker wrote:Gun cases. Seriously, pistol cases are perfect for SDCs..
+1

Must be a Michigan thing!

Go to the local big box and pick up a gun case. I've been eying the double rifle cases to house my whole collection in one unit, but I've been using a couple pistol and ammo cases for years.
I picked it up from my boss, and she from her predecessor. Its one of those simple ideas that makes some sense, since (at least in Michigan) you can find a gun case very easily.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:39 pm

I imagine they would work great for, ...

... wait for it, ...

... shotgun mic's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:33 am

IanWalker wrote:Gun cases. Seriously, pistol cases are perfect for SDCs.
Do you carry your tommy gun in the violin case too?