Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:53 am

Nice keys, lyman! (Actually, all of you guys got some awesome stuff... I'm very jealous)...

So ly, turn the piano on and see if the cat plays. When I was a kid, we had a Behr player piano, and if we forgot to close the lid on it, our cat loved to run back and forth across the keys randomly between 3am-5am or so. It's one of the best ways to be awoken from a sound sleep ever (and I mean that as facetiously as possible).

GJ

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:53 am

Vibramate/Bigsby B5 setup for my Les Paul.
Took 10 minutes to instal. Vibramate uses the existing holes for the stop tail then the Bigsby attaches to that. No holes in the guitar.
Works flawlessly.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 pm

I love Bigsbys, and that's a cool after-market! 8)

I recently received a Korg Monotron, just started playing with it - it's inspiring.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Nice keys, lyman! (Actually, all of you guys got some awesome stuff... I'm very jealous)...

So ly, turn the piano on and see if the cat plays. When I was a kid, we had a Behr player piano, and if we forgot to close the lid on it, our cat loved to run back and forth across the keys randomly between 3am-5am or so. It's one of the best ways to be awoken from a sound sleep ever (and I mean that as facetiously as possible).

GJ
A worthy experiment. He didn't show any interest in it though. But from the little he played, I could hear a distinct influence from 20th century modal improvisation.

And I agree on the niceness of the stuff here, good scores y'all!

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 am

Altec 9860A Graphic EQ.

"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Taken it upon myself to finally get my head around that Pigtronix Keymaster...9 months after I bought it. Some seriously cool shit. I was using it as a vibe mic processor on a drum kit at one session, basically taking some bullshit mic and putting it in a bullshit place, running it through some builshit fuzz or delay. Saturday realized I could use it as a straight DI for my keys (no DI input on my pres), then ran a 57 into it and ran my vocals through a Double Muff and Micro POG...then Sunday ran my Juno 106 through the same chain.

Also learning Ableton Live for a new project, after several times trying it with the free trials I'd get with various shit, the latest version finally struck a chord with me. So I've got an APC40 and MPK25 on loan, then Live Suite 8 and Max 4 Live headed my way. Should be fun.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:57 am

Best acquisition ever - a new room!
I took over half the lease on one of Toronto's best studios at the start of September. The room is called 6 Nassau and it's located in the Kensington Market neighbourhood in downtown Toronto. It has a 30 x 30ish live room and a control room larger than the garage studio I used to run.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:00 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm

whoa congrats dude!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Revox m3500

and
Shure sm81

anttivaan
audio school

Post by anttivaan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Soundtracs Pc Midi series 24ch console.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:46 pm

Smitty wrote:Altec 9860A Graphic EQ.

Interesting. Hows it sound?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Interesting. Hows it sound?
No idea yet. Just got it in the mail yesterday. Between my day job and all the non-musical farm projects in the works at the moment, I'm lucky to get one solid block of time a month to lock in and work on music stuff. Hoping to be able to devote some solid blocks of time to musical creation this winter.

At the moment I've got a pretty decent crop of new objects that need mucking with. Maybe I can hook them all together, at once...
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm

Picked up a minty mid 60's Kay Vanguard tonight (not my pic but the same guitar).

What started as a search for a cheapo neck to finish a home build guitar has quickly morphed into what's becoming a pretty solid collection of funky 60's Japanese imports.

This one is probably going to be sold to fund other musical adventures...

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Got a used Lenovo T61 lappy, port expander, backpack and a FW express card with a 1 year extended warranty for mobile tracking stuff. Everything seems to be ok, so am going to order an M4 SSD for system disk, a caddy for the superbay with a WD Sata 3 Black drive for tracking. Anyone tried SSD's for tracking? It came with an 8300 dual core cpu, new battery and 3 gigs o ram. Looks like new 8)