My Turn...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

My Turn...

Post by Woodeye » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 am

Finished my first full-length CD earlier this year, played our CD release party /farewell show right afterwards, but still like this album an awful lot.

Recorded in my basement studio, using Cubase 6, UAD plugins, MOTU interfaces, and a few 'nothing special' microphones. Mastered at Glenn Brown Productions in Lansing, MI.

http://alco.bandcamp.com/album/alco-2012

Please give these tracks a listen, let me know what you think, I welcome all comments; thank you for your time!
-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't --

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:28 am

...and maybe if I add a comment, it will look like others are listening, which might prompt someone else to listen and comment?

I'd really love to hear what you think of this!
-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't --

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Love the vibe and ethereal/laid-back psych-ish sound of the first track. The violin is a great touch. It sort of sounds grounded in the 60's and the 90's at the same time. Groovy.

Ditto on the other tracks. I like "Bend the Light" from a groove/non-spacey perspective.

Nice work!

GJ

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks for listening, Gregg!

You pretty much nailed the source of the vibe. I'm 50, while the rest of the band is all half my age, so I tried to bring the 60's Pink Floyd-ish sound to the stuff that was all generally inspired by the more recent ambient rock stuff that's out there now.

I think that most of my favorite moments are driven by the cello (not violin), but you sometimes have to really listen for them.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Listened again. Yup, it's good!

I could go broke just buying Bandcamp and some CD Baby stuff alone. I probably would, if I was single... There is so much more good music coming out now, it's just that most folks that rely on mainstream/old school delivery
systems probably won't get a chance to hear it.

Why was your release party also your farewell party, if I may be so bold?

Also:

>>>>-- There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary, and those who don't --<<<<

That's a great quote (1). Or it isn't (0).

GJ

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I like it.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:13 pm

Three of the members decided it was time to chase their real careers, which involved moving out of state (one to Denver, the others to DC). We still may work together remotely, as we can, and maybe get back together for some work in the future, but for now, indefinite hiatus.

PM me an address, I'll send the full physical CD. Yes, a real CD, for free! That goes for anyone else who listens and still wants to hear more! As soon as I figure out how to do free downloads for special people, I'll get that going as well.

Chris

DCT3
audio school

Post by DCT3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 pm

I could definitely see me rocking out to this on one of my long drives with too many cigarette butts in the ashtray. Super vibey. I like it a lot

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:11 pm

sounds great. is poisoning the well mono? i felt the the vibe and such were great but would have loved it to spread into the stereo world.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Chris-- PM'd re: your marvellous offer...

GJ

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Good call, HH, it is indeed in mono! I'll have to rectify that, thanks for pointing it out. I'd hate for people to buy the full download and get the mono version.

GJ, your CD will go in the post tomorrow.

Glad you're all digging it!

Chris

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:21 pm

I just got the CD the other day. This is really, really good. Nice tunes, performances, and recordings. Very, very "vibe-y."

Well done.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 am

Your recent post reminded me to gush about your CD again, Chris. This fits nicely in the Post-U2/This Day & Age Reverb-Rock Pantheon (and I mean that with all due sincerity and alacrity). I'm liking it more and more...

GJ

Woodeye
pluggin' in mics

Post by Woodeye » Wed May 01, 2013 11:31 am

This post serves two purposes:

1. Thanks Gregg, your kind words are not going unrecognized!

2. BUMP! I still have some CDs, and still desire to share this music with others - give it a listen on the bandcamp site listed above, and PM me your address if you'd like a free CD! Or if you prefer, I think I can set up a free download from bandcamp.