Guitar Gear That Sparkles!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:33 am

I like dialing in a sparkly sound on a MXR Custom Comp infront of a fuzz like the MXR Classic Overdrive (GC $39), which is a bit more sparkly clone of a TS 808...into a Vox Top Boost 8)

Haolemon
audio school graduate

Post by Haolemon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Perhaps you might have some luck putting a Jangle Box after your fuzz.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Buuuuuuuuuummmmmmpppppp!!!!!!!

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:54 pm

I'll give you a new bump, and another idea. I have an early vibrolux reverb silverface, that's at at my fixed residence, while I'm out on the road, because there isn't enough room in the rv for all of my precious in this RV.
This amp is the blackface.. pretty damned gangly if you keep it below 3 on the volume, with the top end boost on, and the bass dialed back. It was just to big, along with other things to take out on the road, so now I use a small Crate keyboard amp with an adjustable mid band pot and high/low pots along with a tonelab LE along with a Vox V847 and the 2 pedals I mentioned before in the insert loop to give me a lot more options.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:12 pm

It was just to big, along with other things to take out on the road, so now I use a small Crate keyboard amp,,
Thanks a lot, are you suggesting the Fender as being a "sparkly" amplifier?

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:25 pm

plenty of sparkle from my '65 tremolux.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Yeah, the early silverfaces are really clean until you overdrive them, and even then they can be pretty bright, as well. It's been a bit since I used it, but it seems like (IIRC) the first channel was the one that had no vibrato or verb. It seems like that channel was a bit brighter than the 2nd one with the effects. I haven't had it on in 3 or 4 years, because I need to re-cap it, probably resistors as well, and replace all of the glass. I haven't fired it up because I don't want to damage the iron in it. It was really abused, playing live and traveling all over the country, with nothing more than replacement tubes for 30+ years :shock:

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 pm

I think your 'sparkly' may be a little more extreme than mine, but my jazzmaster with Curtis Novak vintage p/ups through a newer-vintage AC30 head powering a Weber Alnico Blue and Celestion G12H30 is mellow-sparkly, but my Squire 50's Telecaster through the same amp is super sparkly, especially through the top boost channel.

I think an Alnico Blue-type speaker will be key to your sparkle-quest.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:05 am

I think an Alnico Blue-type speaker will be key to your sparkle-quest.
I was planning on swapping out the speakers on all my old tube amps and signal tracers with Alnico, so that's really good to know, thanks!
I think your 'sparkly' may be a little more extreme than mine,

That assumption is probably correct. You said it,,, "EXTREME Sparkle". To the max.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Haolemon wrote:Perhaps you might have some luck putting a Jangle Box after your fuzz.
Ya know, this has been eating at me for some time. At the time I just let it go, but people read this stuff, and may go away with different ideas.

Lets think about playing live with maybe a Fender Twin with a master volume. My age is showing here, but in the 70's this was a pretty popular amp for live lead players. You put a compressor between your guitar and amp, and dialed in your distortion by over driving the channel into the the master. Not everyone did this, some used pedal distortion, but to my taste back then, that was the best tone you could get. I like the MXR Custom Comp a lot.

There's nothing wrong with using a compressor in front, and using one on the back end, they are two different things.

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Z-Vex Super Hard On, schems all over the web, or you can give a pioneer some money... the vextor version isn't as expensive. Then drive your favorite fuzz with it plugged into a silverface Fender, now there's some sparkle!

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:20 am

Z-Vex Super Hard On, schems all over the web, or you can give a pioneer some money... the vextor version isn't as expensive. Then drive your favorite fuzz with it plugged into a silverface Fender, now there's some sparkle!
That sounds like an EXCELLENT clean, INXS type of sound, (already a huge fan of the mosfet circuit). I hear another sound in my head that is like a heavy, germanium-style fuzz that is super clean, orgasmically-musical, tight and sparkly. Active humbuckers on a Les Paul perhaps? Through what type of amp? I wonder.