wirelessly monitoring from a different room

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

wirelessly monitoring from a different room

Post by digital eagle audio » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:39 pm

i'm assuming that, with all the advances in everything, i can set something up so that i can listen to my DAW (run on an older G5 through an ART TubeFire interface) on a stereo in another part of the house. this would cut rendering and data transfer out of the mix-checking equation, which would rule.
i should also mention that the house is a rental, so drilling holes for cords isn't possible.

thanks!
this is my current band
http://bearstorm.bandcamp.com/

this is my old band
http://www.myspace.com/thehotdamnsrva

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 pm

You can save a file of the mix or rough you're working on , and stream that file over wifi to some kind of device on the listening end e.g. another PC connected to the stereo, as long as everything is connected to the network and your signal is good.

I have a PS3 in my living room connected to the entertainment center. I can browse MP3s or even ripped movies which are stored on my PC in the other room, and stream them to the PS3. To my knowledge there is no data loss.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:38 pm

on a mac, you might be able to set up soundflower to allow you to pipe the audio to another computer. not totally sure this is what you're trying to do?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm

There's this stuff...

http://www.parts-express.com/term/wirel ... +amplifier

...but the sound quality of the cheaper shit might not be suitable for critical listening. Something very similar to the second product on that page and was quite bummed when it died. (After several years of not the gentlest (but not super rough either) treatment.)
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:05 am

Snarl, were you running the receiver-side into another amp, or just powering speakers?

Cool if to a amp, what would be US$50 cheaper than the other stuff they have ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:41 am

No, I was running speakers offa the little 15WPC or whatever it was "T" amp. It was great when I was doing a lot of painting/remodeling for keeping the tunes following me without having to set up a whole shebang every time I switched work site. I had a computer downstairs with all the tunes on it and just beamed 'em wherever I needed 'em. It seemed to have close to a "whole house" range, through walls, etc.

These are the speakers I usually used with 'em.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... mode=model (Mine might be the 6.5 inch woofer model, not sure.)

Probably keeping the speakers plugged in on 10' speaker cables and trying to simultaneously move the two speakers, the amp and its wall wart to a new location over and over is what did the amp in. I'm sure I dropped it several times. Those speakers a very unwieldy, slippery, oddly shaped buggers.
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Mang, so much better'n a boombox! 8)

I have one of those Belkin FM transmitters that I use to play CD's thru a Discman in my '96 Ram.

But I would love to get my recording computer transmitting mixes to my living room stereo; I just don't wanna pay US$100 to save 3 minutes and a US$1 CD.

But US$ 50, I might/could/would. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:01 pm

If you've already got Cat 5 run in your house there's these...
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=183-332
...anyone know how they sound? Are they doing ADC/DAC in there? Might sound like ass.
Carl Keil

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 am

Those balun thingies look interesting -- can you use those with the existing phone jacks in your house? I used to do something similar with our home computer network back in the days before wifi.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Only if your phone is wired up with cat 5 or better, as far as I can tell from the description. And you'd need to replace the end jack with RJ45 instead of RJ whatever phones use. I've never used those balun thingies, so I'm just going on what I've seen in the catalogs. I've been a bit intrigued with those for a couple years now.
Carl Keil