looking for feedback

ericcart
audio school graduate

looking for feedback

Post by ericcart » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:15 pm

here's a couple of recordings i made - very low fi. i made them on a tascam portastudio 414 using one mic (an audix OM-5). then i imported them in stereo using an imic into a program called Peak to convert them to digital.

i'm just looking for a little feedback... recording advice or anything.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ericcart/

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Re: looking for feedback

Post by psychicoctopus » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:24 pm

I like the imaginary theme song, ah, theme.

one thing I've noticed about recording with one microphone is that different instruments can sit together in the mix with little trouble. your recordings are a good example. it's not high fidelity, but it sounds cool. when you start pulling out two or more mics, then the whole 'what goes where' situation arises, and Wrong and Right come into play. with one mic, you push record, and you're doing right automatically! everybody wants another microphone, though.

The tape hiss was pretty substantial. Comes with the cassette format. If you can get ahold of a 4 or 8 track reel-to-reel that could be cool.

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:36 am

I listened to 70s theme song. It was a little too left right for my taste, I don't generally like that much stereo separation, it calls too much attention to itself. But that's a personal taste thing. Otherwise sounded good.

Abe
audio school graduate

Post by Abe » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:26 am

The drums sound good for 1 mic into a 4 track (I know because i use the same set-up and have a very hard time getting a decent drum sound) How did you mic the drums? did you use compression?

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:44 am

The "theme for an imaginary children's show " sounds very PBS. Trip to the styrofoam cup plant.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:40 pm

i mic'd the drums by putting the mic on a stand and aiming it at about a 45 degree angle about 1 1/2 - 2 feet away aimed between the high hat and the snare. i have quite a crappy drum set but i think when i'm into it i can compensate for that by the way i play (not that i'm a very good drummer). i think i used brushes (maybe not). i can't recall, but i usually do use them. my drums sound too harsh to me otherwise (old untuned heads and just overall crappiness)

i don't think i had a compressor back then. the one i have is of the cheap orange stomp box variety. i really just use whatever cheap gear i can get my hands on.

i guess i was going for a smiley happy pbs children's theme kind of thing. i really wasn't going for anything. it was just a retarded bass line i had in my head and i had to exorcise it. i certainly didn't think it was hip. but i like it.

i do like the left right seperation thing (obviously) but i agree that i may have overdone it, but hey, i'm a novice

ericcart
audio school graduate

Post by ericcart » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:43 pm

kucinich rules