What could go wrong with a dynamic mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

What could go wrong with a dynamic mic?

Post by Al_Huero » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 am

I've got an Audio-Technica ATM-63 mic that I've used as a snare mic for years. Last session, it just up and quit working. I've opened it up and all of the connections look solid. I don't see any other components aside from the capsule. Is this thing likely DOA at this point? Any advice would be appreciated.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 pm

One of the ultra-thin copper wires in the capsule probably broke.

You can use an Ohm-meter to check continuity across it. If it's transformer coupled, you'll need to desolder one end of the capsule, otherwise you're measuring the capsule and transformer in parallel, and probably won't learn anything.

You could always try to call AT about spare parts...they've been helpful in the past...but no guarantees on a discontinued mic...
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am

don't know what could have crapped out other than one of the capsule coil wires.

that's not a bad mic though. If you MUST replace it, I think I have one laying around that doesn't get used and I'd part with it cheap...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Could it be the cable? Also, sometimes stuff "looks" fine, but isn't. Time to bust out the multimeter, as others have said.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 am

Cheers guys. I bought an SM57 as a replacement at this point. It's not the cable as I checked it with a different mic and everything works in the singal chain. I've got it taken apart at this point; so disconnecting a wire and checking the resistance is doable.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:07 pm

You've checked that cable with a different mic, but have you checked that mic with a different cable? I've had cables that work fine with some pieces of gear and not with others.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Yeah, that's the first thing I did when I found it wasn't working. It was the day of a session, and it was "crap, I'm not getting a signal from that mic."

*runs out to swap cable

"Crap, I'm still not getting a sginal; guess I really don't need this SM57 I'm using for a talkback mic."

And then the 57 worked; and I checked it with the original cable the other day and that cable is fine.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:36 pm

If it's not a bad voice coil, it could be the transformer died. Lots of turns of skinny wire in there, too.