The Tascam 388

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Mine has been getting a ton of use lately as the official recorder for my upcoming comedy/music blog. Nothing to post yet, but getting close! Gotta love varispeed...

ckswartwood
audio school

I am having transport issues.

Post by ckswartwood » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:15 am

I replaced the fuses. Capstan belt is new. New tape.
I have adjusted the tensions.
I definitely think that is adjustments needed on the reel servo board.
Please help!

https://vimeo.com/48226453

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:54 am

Wow, nice to see this thread exists.

I just grabbed a 388, so I'm sure I'll be stopping in here quite a bit.

Peace! :D

guitarboynb
audio school

Post by guitarboynb » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:19 pm

I just recorded an entire LP on it! And loved it!! That box has a soul all to its own... i'll post a track after I mix
the silence between notes

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Check out this recording studio footage from the band Summer Twins. If you look closely, you'll notice an "old friend".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=supo8WzAmeI

guitarboynb
audio school

Fixing 388

Post by guitarboynb » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Anybody have any hints for changing out the take up table? I've read elsewhere that I have to take it out from the front, so I started unscrewing things, but I'm a bit nervous about it, and nothing seems to be budging... And I need to get this thing fixed to mix down!!
the silence between notes

Neal Starrett
audio school

Post by Neal Starrett » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 pm

This was done on my brand new 388 the very first day I bought it in the 80's. I still regret selling her.

http://soundcloud.com/shifter-6/ancient-of-days

Mark
tinnitus

Re: Fixing 388

Post by Mark » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:34 pm

guitarboynb wrote:Anybody have any hints for changing out the take up table? I've read elsewhere that I have to take it out from the front, so I started unscrewing things, but I'm a bit nervous about it, and nothing seems to be budging... And I need to get this thing fixed to mix down!!
There's a thread over at www.homerecording.com in the analog forum on the 388 where you might be able to get a faster response.

Chris Graham Mastering
pluggin' in mics

Nice!

Post by Chris Graham Mastering » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 am

A classic, what a cool funky piece of gear.
Music Mastering Engineer Chris Graham
Get A Portion Of Your Song Mastered For Free At
http://www.ChrisGrahamMastering.com

illuminations
pluggin' in mics

tension arm adjustment

Post by illuminations » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:01 pm

I know this thread has been kind of dormant, but I was wondering if anyone could help with tension arm adjustments. Based on posts earlier in this thread I was able to get the tension arms into position in play mode, but I'm not sure what to do about FF and RR. Is there a way to do this without a tentelometer? Would I set the tape running about midway through a reel, fast-forward or rewind, then adjust the arms to the same place I would for playback, with the center of the arms aligned with the bottom of the rollers? When I FF the tension arm on the right is significantly higher, and when I RR the tension arm on the left is significantly higher, but it seems like maybe it should be this way?

The reason I'm trying to get it together is because I'm having some counter readout issues. It seems to count consistently when playing, but when I rewind, well hit RTZ, it always goes about 20 seconds past where I had it set to zero. I cleaned the bottom of the tach roller and the sensors underneath. One sensor has a tiny dot on it that doesn't come off when I rub it with a q-tip, but I can't tell if it is something on the sensor or just a slight inconsistency in the surface of the sensor. I don't really want to pick at the sensor and scratch it up. I'm waiting on some rubber cleaner to clean up the rollers, but in the meantime I thought I'd adjust the arms to see if that helps.

tooleyoclock
audio school

Tascam 388: Tracks 1 & 8 sound crummy

Post by tooleyoclock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Love my 388. Love this thread for it's many helpful tutorials. I learned how to replace a fuse to get my baby up and running when it arrived DOA after winning it on eBay. New problem. I'm getting tired of using it as a 6 track recorder. Tracks 1 and 8 sound pretty crummy on playback. Those tracks kind of fluctuate in volume and just sound generally bad. So, I've just been not using them and tracking only to 2-7 and bouncing down a lot. What are my options for correcting this issue on tracks 1 & 8?
Thanks so much.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:16 pm

If the edge tracks sound not right, it's probably a head wear issue. You might need to relap the record/play head. Contact JRF or IEC or Sprague magnetics. Better yet, take it in for repair & get a true analysis of the problem.

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:45 am

I've solved that problem by running the tape back and forth (ff and rew) with the tape lifter engaged, so that it helped form the tape back to the head... not the ideal solution but it worked...

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am

i'm thinking about switching back to a 388. I upgraded to a TEAC 3340S with Sony MX-20 Mixer to get better track width and fidelity at 15 IPS. But now I'm missing the ease of use and all in one build of the 388. I need to do some testing today between 15 and 7.5 IPS to see if it really matters for Funk/R&B music that I'm recording (heck the mo bass of 7.5 might be better).

Am I crazy?

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:33 am

If anyone has a 388 and a 3340S maybe they could do a comparison of a first generation track from the 388 and a second and/or third generation track from the 3340S.