What would you do in this barn?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:59 pm

+1 on the reamp idea for reverb. The size of the barn is epic and the grain bin might be a worthwhile experiment.

The only other thing I thought of was recording the vocalist away from everyone and use a high room mic above them in addition to the mic in front of them.

On the other hand, this may call for all the musicians together with a lot of bleed and a couple of overheads.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

kcswingmaster
ass engineer

Post by kcswingmaster » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks for the input all....keep'em coming...

Yes, I'm torn between letting it bleed or semi isolation. It will be a couple weeks till the next sound check - In the mean time, I do plan to build booths in the two South corners. Probably the steel amp and upright bass in those corners.? The bass (played accoustically) was majorly' present in the room mic from the first testing..though I can eq that out a bit. Other options would be to utilize the first floor - but thats getting pretty fancy and we would probably need headphones. We are talking 40s/50s style country swing here......

I did find out ,over the weekend, that a local pro caught wind of the barn and has expressed interested in getting involved. He even knows how to calibrate tape :lol:

Going to a real studio sounds logical to the sane people but I have always felt the time crunch and the "lets just get this thing done" mode alwyays kicks in at some point. Two of us (in band) write alot of songs and jingles ..so we are looking at this as an investment for future recordings as well. Also, some tunes will require Warner Brother style sound effects and special guest such as a local livestock auctioneer. Getting exited and hope it all works out.
cowboy by night

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 pm

If the band isn't too loud isolation without baffles is easier. Also base the setup and/or mic choices with mic pattern in mind. Bidirectional mics have very defines and deep nulls, but cardioid can still have good rejection.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:56 am

+1 on baffles. check out craigslist for lots of old carpet, and office dividers. big rooms like that are awesome with lots of gobos, because you can build rooms inside them to meet whatever needs you need.

on a side not, coming from a guy whos studio is in a barn (be it, a much smaller barn), i totally have barn envy.

absolutely beautiful structures, arent they?

kcswingmaster
ass engineer

Post by kcswingmaster » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 am

delete
Last edited by kcswingmaster on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowboy by night

kcswingmaster
ass engineer

Post by kcswingmaster » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Also, our first production for a local radio station.

http://soundcloud.com/phantomsoftheopry ... od-swing-1
cowboy by night

kcswingmaster
ass engineer

Post by kcswingmaster » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Slow go when you are a weekend warrior but we have electricity/heat/water/toilet/beds/half a kictch, and couches. Still coming along dollar by dolalr by $$$$$$$$$......Trying to put down the hammers and concentrate on sounds now.

"chickenheaterdeliers"
cowboy by night

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:45 pm

The good life.

Grinder
audio school graduate

Post by Grinder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 am

In my experience, it's always best to go with the flow of the room you're recording in, and when you're good enough to pick and choose, you can rent rooms that fit your preferences.

In a barn like that, I bet you can get a really great sound going for the type of music you're recording, and I wouldn't try to damp things too much. The room will be the glue that holds everything together, and it will leave a much more interesting sonic signature than any piece of gear could possibly do.

Please don't record the vocals dry and reamp...commit!

Gustav
PCB Grinder (Build your own gear)
https://pcbgrinder.com

kcswingmaster
ass engineer

Post by kcswingmaster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the input. I am taking notes on everything.

Unfortunately I have had way more time sitting at a computer (at work) thinking about recording than actual recording. On the bright side, ive written 36 songs that are ready to go..................... :blush: ...going crazy here.......

I recently met a gentleman that has it bad for room tuning. He is willing to show me the ways of the force, and testing, and such. I can understand a tuned room but ....as you say Grinder - you can also play the room as an instrument -as is. That is what I am interested in for starter. I am, however, interested (with the testing) to at least see what is actually going on in there. FWIW - it has about 16,000 cubic feet.

Hopefully it wont be too much longer. The plan is to keep it simple and let it bleed...

77 on vocal/guitar
44 on other end of barn to get the band - fiddle, steel, piano - and maybe upright bass
639a - if I close mic the upright bass - or as a single drum mic (if we have drums)
mxl 44 - a couple of these for room
4 or 5 mic kinda thing....isolating headphones for placing the mics......?
cowboy by night

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 am

remember: distant room mics can be closer and face the opposite direction.... or face the ceiling... or, be close to a wall instead of in the middle... finding the right blend of tone and space is a great give and take...

also, think of your room mic and the pickup pattern of it too, right?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:21 pm

contrary to big room philosophy (i'm making that up), consider keeping the band close together if playing live and letting it bleed. bleed sounds better(?) in close proximity, rather than long distance.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:32 pm

Man, if it was me, I'd let the room tuner go nuts. You'd have to spend a fortune to tune all the "character" out of that place. And I'm of the opinion that often just 1-3% better is the difference between great and amazing. In all kinds of fields, but especially audio. So, maybe a couple bass traps in the right place gets rid of one annoying frequency buildup that you didn't even know was bugging you and all of a sudden the place sounds "perfect" in whatever characterful way you're hoping for.

Just one dude's [heavily discounted] $0.02.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:43 pm

^ that's what I'm thinking. I don't know if there's maybe a fear that the room won't sound like that room if it's tuned, like that it'd be deadened and lifeless. But in my experience a room after it's well-tuned has the same feel but you can just hear things better - not muddy or tinny. I certainly see the value in just recording in a room as it is too, but that space looks so amazing, I'd bet a little tuning would make it really top notch.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Post by biasvoltage » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 pm

What a great space! Temp fluctuations are gonna be murder on your instruments' ability to hold tune, keep that in mind.

from the Wiki about Neil Young's album, "Harvest":

"Mixing was done at both Quadrafonic and at Young's house. During playback at the ranch, Mazer ran the left channel into the PA speakers still in the barn and the right channel into speakers in the house. With Crosby and Nash beside him Young sat outside listening to the mix. When asked about the stereo balance, he called out, "More barn."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_(Neil_Young_album)