Chet Atkins

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Brian Dorn
audio school graduate

Chet Atkins

Post by Brian Dorn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:16 am

Seeing as how I've played guitar for about 20 years, I'm a little embarrassed to say I'm just now exploring Atkins' music in a more thorough way. But it's a process that I'm grateful to have saved for later in my life! :D

Can anyone recommend me some of their favorite albums by him?
www.briandorn.NET

"Now that everyone is empowered with these tools to create stuff, has there been a lot more great shit coming out? Not really. You still have to have something to do with those tools." -Trent Reznor, Sound City

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Chester & Lester is pretty great if you like the sound of two old guys casually shredding on their namesake guitars. Beyond that there's something great on every Chet record I've ever bought. He's so mind blowingly good but so relaxed about it that you almost take it for granted.
Here he is playing Yankee Doodle Dixie. That would be Yankee Doodle on the low strings, Dixie on the high strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvmfsivdavQ

Brian Dorn
audio school graduate

Post by Brian Dorn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:01 pm

Thanks, David. Pretty sure that's the next album I'm going to buy. And Yankee Doodle Dixie is awesome. The guy is a total joy to listen to.
www.briandorn.NET

"Now that everyone is empowered with these tools to create stuff, has there been a lot more great shit coming out? Not really. You still have to have something to do with those tools." -Trent Reznor, Sound City

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:14 pm

My musical catalog has developed continuously, by way of the phenomenon where an artist or band is made known to me at the perfect time in my life. Chet Atkins randomly surfaced within my purview on one day in the not so distant past. I also love how it's a never-ending web, when you discover one artist/band it inevitably leads to the mention of an engineer, musician, studio, etc... that intrigues you and off you go making subsequent discoveries, ad infinitum. Through Chet Atkins, I learned of the talented Lenny Breau....so if you haven't heard already, check him out.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:34 pm

Neck And Neck

Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler.

Need I say more?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nathangrn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Nathangrn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:04 am

The two albums with Les Paul are fantastic and available on one CD.

Chet Atkins "Guitar Legend: The RCA Years" is a 2-cd set that covers a lot of the high points.

The thing about Chet is he makes it sound so damn easy.
"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

http://openbookquiz.bandcamp.com/

http://myspace.com/openbookquiz

http://myspace.com/artiejohnsonnathangreen

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

another vote for the Chester and Lester records. Good stuff.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Brian Dorn
audio school graduate

Post by Brian Dorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 am

earth tones wrote:Through Chet Atkins, I learned of the talented Lenny Breau....so if you haven't heard already, check him out.
Listening right now. I like what I hear, thanks.
www.briandorn.NET

Brian Dorn
audio school graduate

Post by Brian Dorn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Neck And Neck

Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler.

Need I say more?
This is what I was listening to when I wrote the original post. :D
www.briandorn.NET