Your favorite Kinks album ... from a recording perspective

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.

From a recording perspective, what's your favorite Kinks album?

Face to Face
9%
Something Else
23%
Village Green Preservation Society
36%
Arthur...
5%
Lola...
9%
Muswell Hillbillies
18%

Total votes: 22

leftoverking
gettin' sounds

Re: Your favorite Kinks album ... from a recording perspecti

Post by leftoverking » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:05 pm

How about "The Great Lost Kinks" of Columbia b sides and unrelaeased stuff. Songs like Rose Mary Rose, or The Living Room Light? There are some gems in there. I really love all the Kinks stuff form the raw power of the early years to the crafty tunes that carried them through the seventies. Not so into Come dancing. Here is my attempt at a kinks tune...(forgive me Davies') http://www.humboldtmusic.com/Music/brainwashed.mp3

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:56 am

leftoverking wrote:How about "The Great Lost Kinks" of Columbia b sides and unrelaeased stuff. Songs like Rose Mary Rose, or The Living Room Light? There are some gems in there.
I've been trying to track down a copy of that LP. It's hard to find, though, and when you do come across one on ebay it goes for big time $$$$$.

Ugh.

Joe

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:28 am

thekingandcaroline wrote: As for your comment on Kontroversy ... I just don't think it's in the same league as the stuff they did from '66 to '71. Sure, Til the End of the Day is a great tune, but, to me, Face to Face shows such a quantum leap in quality over Kontroversy.
yeah, song-wise, totally. but the sound of the record ranks up there i think. 'dedicated follower of fashion, while not my favorite tune, sounds really interesting.

alex

littlebrothersclothes
pushin' record

Post by littlebrothersclothes » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:35 pm

From a purely recording perspective, *definitely* the material produced by Shel Talmy (before Ray fired him), and much moreso the singles than the albums (I think that Kinda & Kontroversy were each recorded in a few days time). But the next few albums (Face to Face, Something Else, VGPS) are *much* more advanced musically. And yes, there were some great songs on 'The Great Lost Kinks Album' (feel free to drop me a line if you're a rabid Kinks fan who needs to hear those).

Doug

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:06 am

i've been preaching the ways of the kinks for years. Ray Davies is one of the best songwriters ever. these records sound pretty mutated, but in a cool way. my favorites are village green, something else, arthur, lola vs. powerman, muswell hillbillies. EP collection, kinda kinks ect.
But... is there any band that has such great records and later such terrible ones???? I mean the kinks made some lousy records as they went on.
Still Ray Davies is right up there with lennon for me.
Also if you like these records you'll also like oddesy and oracle by the Zombies.

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:14 am

oddessy and oracle by the zombies is one of those albums I never get tired of listening to.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:35 am

Slider wrote:Still Ray Davies is right up there with lennon for me.
Agreed. He's awesome.

Actually, in some ways I imagine Village Green and, to a lesser extent, Something Else, being the sorts of records the mid- to late-period Beatles would've made if Paul had done all of the songwriting. Think Penny Lane, Eleanor Rigby, Martha My Dear, Rocky Raccoon, Good Day Sunshine, For No One, She's Leaving Home, When I'm Sixty Four, Blackbird, Mother Nature's Son, Honey Pie, Maxwell's Silver Hammer: most of those songs wouldn't sound out of place on Village Green.

There's that whole character sketch, music-hall, tin pan alley quality to a lot of those songs.
Slider wrote:Also if you like these records you'll also like oddesy and oracle by the Zombies.
Absolutely. Better yet, the Zombie Heaven box set.

Joe

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:15 pm

If one (like me) cant afford the box, get O&O and The Decca Stereo Anthology to compensate.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:30 am

i don't care what anyone says about mushiness... i think Lola vs. the Powerman & the Money-Go-Round is a great sounding record. good songs.

phalex
tinnitus

Post by phalex » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:46 am

i like village green the best overall; but sunny afternoon is my favorite song by the kinks.
Werd.

greenmeansjoe
buyin' gear

Post by greenmeansjoe » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:07 am

wing wrote:i don't care what anyone says about mushiness... i think Lola vs. the Powerman & the Money-Go-Round is a great sounding record. good songs.
"Moneygoround" is one of my favorite Kinks tracks. For some reason it took me a long while to warm up to the album as a whole, but once I did I was hooked in a big way.

I just can't imagine not liking a record with songs like "The Contender," "This Time Tomorrow," "Get Back in Line," "Strangers," "Top of the Pops," etc...

Has anyone else gone through an obsessive Kinks phase? I mean shit, I'm more ga-ga over The Kinks than I've ever been over The Beatles (who, contrary to what I just said, are still my favorite band of all time).

Joe

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:33 am

thekingandcaroline wrote:
wing wrote:Has anyone else gone through an obsessive Kinks phase? Joe
Not the Kinks, but the Who. The vintage guitar guy here in town has Ray's (or was it Dave's) Gibson V. He also has Eric Clapton's mid 60s Gibson ES-335 that he used in the mid 90s and auctioned a few years ago with the rest of his prized guitars.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:34 am

molokoplus wrote:Ray was shot in new orleans, not london, as almost no one gets shot in london ...
Uh? He was shot?
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.