vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

Updated thread title.

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Awesome.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:10 pm

I for one dig his sparse mystic gypsy style (and ability to play a sitar while riding a vespa)
and have managed to find a few of his albums over the past couple years.

There are a few more I wouldn?t mind picking up,
so please be aware that his entire catalog consists of utter sh*te
and is in no way worthy of seeking out.
There, that should do it.

Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 pm

That reminds me of a good one-- Django Rheinhardt, Gabor Szabo, and Birelli Lagren go into a bar owned by the Gipsy Kings (tm). Szabo orders a glass of wine, Django orders a cognac, and Lagren orders a coke. The other two look at him and say out loud-- "Why you little Tinker!"

GJ
(yes, i'm over-tired again and have no idea what that means...)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:40 am

Gregg Juke wrote:That reminds me of a good one-- Django Rheinhardt, Gabor Szabo, and Birelli Lagren go into a bar owned by the Gipsy Kings (tm). Szabo orders a glass of wine, Django orders a cognac, and Lagren orders a coke. The other two look at him and say out loud-- "Why you little Tinker!"

GJ
(yes, i'm over-tired again and have no idea what that means...)
It's "funny" because instead of calling him a stinker for not joining them for a real drink, they call him a tinker, a pejorative term for itinerant gypsies in Ireland.

"Travellers are often referred to by the terms tinkers, or itinerants in Ireland, while in other countries the term gypsies or didicoy is used to describe the community. Some of these terms refer to services that were traditionally provided by them, tinkering (or tinsmithing), for example, being the mending of tinware such as pots and pans, and knackering, being the acquisition of dead or old horses for slaughter. Tinker and especially knacker is used as a pejorative against Travellers in Ireland."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Ah, so sorry. I never heard it used as (or that it was) a perjorative; my wife is Irish and I never heard that.

My sincerest and humble apologies to any and all Irish members of the didicoy community. I was mistakenly under the impression that "tinker" and "traveller" were interchangeable descriptors...

GJ

PS-- I've heard the original chief Keef and Mick call each other knacker, and say that someone was "bloody knackered," but again, I had no idea.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:48 pm

He certainly had a unique sound. This may be something that contributed to that..
Below is from the comments section of this utube vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0zYA_12og

" - That's exactly what I said to Gabor when I milled the frets & worked on that very guitar in Hollywood in 1980.
I'll try to quote his answer for you, - "this Martin is acoustically louder than the archtops with pickups and, with flatwounds it has a jazz sound but a bit unique because no-one thinks to do this. I'd rather sound different." .... then something about not caring about playing an archtop like everyone is influenced to do.
We talked quite a lot."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:04 am

Yeah, I love his sound, that acoustic with a pickup into a Fender amp. Never knew they were flatwounds. But that makes sense.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:06 pm

shedshrine wrote:I for one dig his sparse mystic gypsy style (and ability to play a sitar while riding a vespa)
and have managed to find a few of his albums over the past couple years.

There are a few more I wouldn?t mind picking up,
so please be aware that his entire catalog consists of utter sh*te
and is in no way worthy of seeking out.
There, that should do it.
That's a nice Gabor Szabo collection! I can only claim to own 5 of those titles. Not real crazy about the Jazz Raga album, but I do like 'Bacchanal' and 'Spellbinder' quite a bit.

Brian Dorn
audio school graduate

Post by Brian Dorn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Love all these pictures! I'd post a pic of my collection, but it's pretty small at the moment. I just started seriously collecting vinyl last month. I also wrote a blog entry about why it's so cool to me.

It's here if anyone is interested: http://briandorn.net/2013/03/vinyl-the- ... xperience/.

Also, if it's inappropriate for me to link to my site like this, let me know, and I won't do it again. I'm new here.
www.briandorn.NET

"Now that everyone is empowered with these tools to create stuff, has there been a lot more great shit coming out? Not really. You still have to have something to do with those tools." -Trent Reznor, Sound City

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Welcome Brian...

Nice blog post!

GJ

Brian Dorn
audio school graduate

Post by Brian Dorn » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Welcome Brian...

Nice blog post!

GJ
Thanks, Gregg! :D
www.briandorn.NET

"Now that everyone is empowered with these tools to create stuff, has there been a lot more great shit coming out? Not really. You still have to have something to do with those tools." -Trent Reznor, Sound City

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 pm

Vinyl with purpose:
Music to drink to, strip to, and stop to..

and "music to make beautiful women in negligees sleepwalk to your home on a full moon". I ponied up the .45 cents to find out. Nothing yet, but maybe they are from out of town. and of course being barefoot there are hazards to navigate, so.. Image
Last edited by shedshrine on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Roger Dean's artwork is immediately recognizable even when it isn't gracing a Yes album cover..Image
These are the first and second Osibisa albums from 1971.
They were a British Afro-pop band, founded in London in 1969 by four expatriate African and three Caribbean musicians.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:25 pm

from the "mimicry the sincerest form of flattery" school of album design we have:

a history of punk

Shatner and Nimoy

and the mothers