Trying to speed up an entire song in Logic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jh8406
ass engineer

Trying to speed up an entire song in Logic

Post by jh8406 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Was trying to figure this out with a friend of mine. It started as me recording one or two tracks of my own into Ableton after I had already imported a mono mix track from my friend which was recorded in Logic. I sped up the track or was sped up in Ableton when I loaded it. Regardless, we were trying to speed up the entire mix in logic, after loading the one or two additional tracks. I thought it could be done globally(i'm unfamilar with Logic), but it seems it can only be done individually. Is this true? What's the easiest way to do it? Thanks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 am

Logic has a time n tempo plug in, and it does either individual or batches
of audio tracks.
Consult the manual on how to get the best results for your case.

I highly suggest having a calculator handy as well.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

What version of Logic are you using? If it's 9 it has a pretty flexible varispeed control that you might be able to use.

Are the files the same sample rate? Could that be an issue here?

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

yes

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Logic 9's varispeed function is actually pretty astounding within reason. Definitely a useful tool. If you have a really complex mix with lots of plugs be sure to set your buffer speed higher than you normally would. It's kind of hidden, for some reason, you have to right-click on the transport toolbar to find it
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

yes

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Logic 9's varispeed function is actually pretty astounding within reason. Definitely a useful tool. If you have a really complex mix with lots of plugs be sure to set your buffer speed higher than you normally would. It's kind of hidden, for some reason, you have to right-click on the transport toolbar to find it
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:20 am

I don't use it often so other folks might have better methods but I find it useful to make sure all of your tracks are exactly the same length (even if that means putting a little block of blank audio at the top and tail of tracks) before you start messing with the logic time-stretching. That way everything keeps neat - parts stay in the same relative positions regardless of the stretching or temp changes. Is that useful? Or is that totally obvious?