Philly's new trains throw so much RF that I have to move.

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Philly's new trains throw so much RF that I have to move.

Post by alexdingley » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 pm

my reddit post about the interference caused by our town's shiny new trains.

Anyone else in Philly, living / recording near the regional rail lines?

Also, an audio clip is available here

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Alex, I'm so sorry. This is pretty insane. I'm definitely passing this on for you,.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am

Yikes, sounds crazy. And way to be on top of getting in touch with all those city officials about the issue.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 am

I read through most of the page - very interesting, and I extend my condolences.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

thanks all...

Post by alexdingley » Wed May 08, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks for the well-wishes, everybody. the response I got on reddit was overwhelming and very helpful. Interesting fact I discovered through all this. The reason that this is happening is simply because the new trains are AC powered, and the lines in Philly are DC lines (up until now all of our trains were older, DC trains)...

From what I'm told by the engineers involved... most cities these days only use DC for short-run trains like subways, and longer-run trains like regional-transit lines are all AC powered. Also, Rotem, the manufacturer says that they've been selling these exact trains in Europe and Asia without issue... I would have through that Europe would have tons of old DC trains... but as it happens, there was some sort of tussle in the European region back in the early 1940's and they had to build new trains afterward... Most of them are now AC trains.

Anyway, through all of the contact I've had with people over this, I might have found a perfect new apartment in a nicer area for roughly the same cost. Now it's time to test the place to see if my control room speaker level will bother the neighbors. We'll see.

-fingers crossed.

Mikey V
audio school graduate

Post by Mikey V » Fri May 10, 2013 8:00 pm

my studio is about a block from the regional rail to trenton near the bridesburg stop. i have a 100watt traynor that was picking up a lot of noise that i just figured was from the florescent lights so i tried an isolation transformer and the amp is a lot quieter now. Thx for the post!
those buttons down need pushing