CABIN MUSIC (Jim O'rourke meets early Yes)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

CABIN MUSIC (Jim O'rourke meets early Yes)

Post by TheSwede » Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 am

Hey all-

I wanted to share a record my close friend and I recently completed, Brundlefly and the Swede, "CABIN MUSIC".

It's a weird record, in the sense that it's an instrumental LP with 2 sides, no song breaks which we started recording in a rented cabin outside Asheville, NC in 2010. We began by tracking the main acoustic guitar tracks (in the neighborhood of John Fahey type stuff, or Gastr del Sol/Jim O'rourke's works) that over the next two years we embellished and fleshed out with all manner of instrumentation (upright bass, electric guitar, bass guitar, drum kits, synths, violins, flutes, bass clarinets and so on). It ended up being a pretty lively record that moves about consistently from sound to sound, but we feel works as a unified whole. Fans of some of the work Tortoise in the 90's, might hear some something familiar in there, and there is some somewhat shameless aping of Close to the Edge era Yes thrown about with reckless abandon!

We are expecting the vinyl to be in (180g limited pressing) this next week, and it's available to pre-order. It was recorded by ourselves, and mastered by Mr. Carl Saff.

As we are not a live band (part of what made the record special to us was the fact that the two of us live on separate coasts, and had not played together in 10 years prior to these sessions), we are hoping to share with as many people as possible as we can't play it live...

So please have a listen, won't you?

www.brundleflyandtheswede.bandcamp.com

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Fri May 10, 2013 12:34 pm

Enjoying this. Thanks.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm

You had me in the first two bars with the string arrangement and the drum sound!

Nice.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 pm

PS-- You might look into licensing for this stuff. I think it would have great potential for sync-to-picture (films, advertising, etc.).

GJ

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks tape op folks!

If anyone has any info on such things (licensing opportunities) I'm all ears!
This thing has been sitting in my computer for the last two years, and frankly, I don't hear anything but a headache from mixing it these days!

So nice to hear some good feedback!

Matt

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri May 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Nice stuff. Are these clips excerpts, or is the whole record only 33 minutes and change?

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes, this is the full record, side A and B. Were able to do 45 rpm as well, which was nice...

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Excellent everything, loving it, passing it on. You should be really proud of this!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Fri May 17, 2013 5:29 am

Thanks Jeff!

We appreciate any sharing (of course!).

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 am

Nice stuff! Too bad I don't do psychedelics anymore.

Would you be interested in talking about your recording techniques at all? I'm particularly curious about the drum and drum mic setups, but I think your overall recording aesthetic does a good job of having vintage "flair" while still being just as comfortable in the modern world.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Fri May 17, 2013 7:46 am

Sure!

This record was done over the course of 2 years (our sessions started in a cabin, with the acoustic guitars/flute), and I started tracking drums not too long after.

For side a, and the bulk of side b (the start through where they initially end) the main set up (if I recall correctly) was Beyer M160's as overheads, D112 on the kick, most likely either a 57 on snare, or it might have been the Heil pr 20 (cant recall if I had it at the time), Blue kick ball on the floor tom, possibly another 57 on the rack tom...

For the sections of side two (piano/flute section, and the end) I simply used a "recorderman" set up with 2 Earthworks QTC40's. I love that set up, and such a breeze to mix.

Of course, I may have used some other combo's- Peluso CEMC6's on the toms, and I may have also mic'd the kick with a Blue Mouse from a distance and mixed it to taste. Sorry for the vague and hazy recollections.

All pre's were just from my older Mackie Onyx 1640 (not the i series). I did use some minor eq at tracking, along with some compression provided by an ART Pro VLA (older model), and a few RNC's/RNLA's- though I can't recall where, or what settings at this point... nothing dramatic in the settings at tracking.

Whats key, is that this was all recorded in an awful room, my sheetrocked, low ceilinged, no ambience bonus room. While it's treated fine, it was something I always wrestled with, sound wise. I have always enjoyed, thicker, less "roomy" sounds, but that room also conspired to make sure I couldn't have anything else!

For me, a rank amateur who has no access to proper studios, or spaces, the drums have always been a challenge. I'm the drummer here, but it's all for the recordings only, as I am not a performing live drummer (more a guitar/bass player). I spend most time focused on the performance, as my "sound" changes constantly. I maintain that if played correctly, you can work any sound you are getting, even horribly shambolic and "incorrect" set ups. I have always admired drummers like Glenn Kotche, if not just for his incredible technique, but the "sound" he manages on many recordings. That fat, non resonating snare, and very wooden tone. I always aim closer to that with my stuff. Pairing that with the acoustic guitar foundation helps (in my opinion) to keep the feel closer and warmer, rather than emphasizing overly crisp room and cymbal wash/high frequency acoustic "air".

Also, there are no "edits" or corrections... it is what it is!

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri May 17, 2013 11:52 am

This is really great!

Quite an assortment of instruments. Did the two of you play everything?

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Fri May 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Everything except the violin parts, and the bass clarinet.. Those were played by Sarah Custen and Todd Knapp respectively. One of us did play the flute section though (Jason Socci... Aka brundlefly).

No midi or samples- all actual people!

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Cool. People are the best!

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Tue May 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Our vinyl is FINALLY in this Thursday, shipping out Friday, for any early purchasers on here... Thanks!