CABIN MUSIC (Jim O'rourke meets early Yes)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Good job!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Tue May 21, 2013 9:01 pm

I like this. I hear a bit of Pullman in it, which is one of my favorite sounds. I like the drums, the way it transitions from acoustic guitar tunes to big stuff, and the pace. I like your process, too - I think it lets ideas grow past their initial impulses.

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 am

I had almost forgotten about Pullman- but just you mentioning it had me pulling out their first record again. Great record, if I recall the second one kind of veered away from the acoustic sound, which was also pretty good...

We hadn't played together in a decade before this record, so it was kind of returning to some of this stuff after being away fro so long. Both of us always kind of wondered why much of that "Chicago" 90's stuff had kind of lost it's way with people... We were both in a band that was heavily into that scene back when, and always lamented that not many people were really doing that kind of adventurous, full band kind of instrumental music.

When we reconvened, we decided to do our part to try and encapsulate what we loved about records like this, but also find new ways for us to do it.

The record was also done in a "modular" kind of format, as we only had a few days in our cabin to lay out and record the acoustic material which would be the framework for the entire record. We purposely decided to leave some room to grow, even if some of the added elements had not been written yet. It was an interesting way of working (as the other guy lived across the country), so there was a great degree of setting ourselves up with plenty of unforeseen variables, and then trying our best to elegantly solve any problems as they presented themselves.

We are planning to do another one this year, starting a session this summer, and while we have plenty of ideas, I am certain the end result will be a surprise to us as well!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 29, 2013 11:08 pm

love it. I'm a huge fan of the 90's post-rock stuff, Thril Jockey, et al. Definately good comparison with Pullman, and disregard the 2nd record, it's probably more akin to this record. Kinda reminds me of 70's folk/psych stuff like Madden & Harris too.

great job on the recording and mix, I'll definately listen to this more.

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:06 am

Really, really great. Yet another TOMB discovery whose vinyl I need to plunk down for. SHUCKS. I'm sure this will translate beautifully on vinyl, too.

It's quite reminiscent of Jim O'Rourke's "The Visitor," which I absolutely love.

BTW, I'm not familiar with this Pullman you speak of, but if it's in line with this stuff I do want to get familiar. Can one of yous please guide me in the right direction?

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Thu May 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks for picking up a copy!

Pullman was actually an offshoot of Tortoise (or at least shared some members)-

See below:
http://www.thrilljockey.com/thrill/Pull ... aet5ODnBHs

That first record was all acoustic... The second was good too, but wasn't as unique in my opinion, as the first, which being acoustic, was something of an anomaly for that scene...

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Ah, gotcha. At first I was like "wait, Bill Pullman's been making records all this time...?" Checking it out now, beautiful stuff.

Can't wait to hear the disc, thanks for sharing!
I want large...bread.

www.packylundholm.com

TheSwede
alignin' 24-trk

Post by TheSwede » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:44 pm

Hey Y'all-

We recently released a cassette version of our record, "Cabin Music" on OM records. While it features the full LP release, it also contains 2 additional tracks, more than doubling the length.

The main draw here is "Side C", which was finished for this particular release. It was started at the sessions which resulted in the main LP, but never finished until we were offered the chance to release the cassette.

It's in a similar vein, based around an acoustic guitar framework in a similar finger picked style, but features quite a bit more in terms of "extra" instruments- ie, upright bass, violins, and trumpet. It's also a long tune, and moves through some different textures, taking it's time. There's some stately string/horn/acoustic stuff, which eventually gives way to some high energy electric bass and drum kit, only to peter it's self out on a meditative drone of sorts. All self recorded/mixed. Have a listen below:

www.brundleflyandtheswede.bandcamp.com

If you are curious, the other record on there is the LP version, which features the other tracks. Purchasing the 180g LP also snags you the two bonus tape tracks...

Thanks!