Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 27, 2013 4:35 pm

What value didja get for the Tele?

Also, I just bought a CAD GLX 3000 (here) because, and I believe this is true, you can never have enuff omni's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I bought a bunch of them, and I *believe* that I ended up putting a 0.047uF in there. I think that my Alamo lap steel has a 0.022uF inside of it.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 28, 2013 5:04 am

Thanx! FWIW, StewMac recommends:
".001uF (microfarad) is for volume control treble-bleed circuits. .022uF and .047uF are guitar tone control caps; .047uF and .100uF are for basses. 180pF (picofarad) is for PRS guitar volume clarity."
From what I've read (not tried) because the caps aren't in circuit, the principal reason, most say, to use the orange drops is that their tolerances are tighter.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 am

vvv wrote:Thanx! FWIW, StewMac recommends:
".001uF (microfarad) is for volume control treble-bleed circuits. .022uF and .047uF are guitar tone control caps; .047uF and .100uF are for basses. 180pF (picofarad) is for PRS guitar volume clarity."
From what I've read (not tried) because the caps aren't in circuit, the principal reason, most say, to use the orange drops is that their tolerances are tighter.
I believe that I have a .022uF in my lap steel, and it is a little more "wah" filter sounding. I'm am pretty certain that I put a .047uF in my Tele. It is way more musical now. It is the simplest mod. Clip the old one, solder in a new one. I'm using the tone knob a bunch now in conjunction with an octave fuzz stacked on top of a germanium fuzz-face; rolling back the tone brings the octave forward above the 12th fret.

I have a few other guitars that need some work. My next project is my MIM Stratocaster, which is getting an added pickup combo (neck + bridge = humbucker), plus a master tone with an orange drop and a single master volume control. I have no need for two tone knobs, so I'm going to use the extra hole/space for a toggle switch. Eventually I'm also picking up a new Warmoth neck and new pickups (really loving the Duncan stacked Tele pups, might grab the Strat equivalent).

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 am

My new/old Akai EX70C comp/Gate has been dispatched

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:22 pm

since the top of the year:
  • - Arturia MiniBrute, a really awesome little analogue monosynth. - $new

- Digitech Studio Vocalist (the 2U one from '95); it's like ELO in a box. - $100

- dbx 166 (not the A or XL, just plain 166) - $140

- Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory. it's all the gain effects from the Expression Factory and sounds great direct...lousy in front of an amp, tho. :roll: - $25
i think it's time for some more mics again.
maybe a nice pre/eq or two.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:07 am

Cool purchase, Ref. I'm kind of lusting over that miniBrute.

GJ

mrclean
pushin' record

Minibrute = Great Synth

Post by mrclean » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:19 am

Put me down as another happy Minibrute owner. Love the fact there are no screens, menus or hidden functions.
-- mrclean

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Cool purchase, Ref. I'm kind of lusting over that miniBrute.

GJ
go for it! it's really inspiring and fun and useful. great sounds, even with one oscillator and a sub-oscillator.
partly due to all the modulation possibilities and also cos of the waveform mixing.
also fun pushing external audio through the filter and envelopes.

it also freely converts between DIN MIDI and gate/CV and MIDI over USB in nearly any combination.

if you haven't already, check out the youtube video with Adrian Utley going over it (for half an hour!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X614aeTzq7k
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Pawn shop deals of the day:

Carvin X100B half stack in lush gray carpet with EL34s and hot rod mods... $300
Ensoniq ESQ1 with a couple dead key contacts and almost one octave of replaced keys from apparently a customer dropping incident....$100

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Lost my slide. :evil: (In my bedio. :twisted: But I can't still find 'er. :x )

Gotta new one: Dunlop 224 Heavy Brass, what is better than the last one I just bought, what was light. I mean, I use it on bass ... (new, US$9.99).

Boss Tr-2 (used, US$ $49.00 - hadda 6 mos. old $50 credit at musicblowshounds) - gonna get my Marr on.

Thinkin' about going back for a Dean elec. stand-up bass they had at US$300 - when it's 30 days old they can negotiate, so ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 am

Cascade Gomez

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:29 am

Ebay'ed myself an AKG Solid tube a couple weeks ago

Problem is, now I want another..
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 pm

losthighway wrote:Cascade Gomez
I want that. how does it sound so far?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:08 am

ott0bot wrote:
losthighway wrote:Cascade Gomez
I want that. how does it sound so far?
I'm waiting on it. They are back ordered (way to go Cascade). Super nice folks over there emailed me to say it would be 3 weeks, and offered me a refund, or a free mic cable if I was willing to wait it out. I told them I can wait.

I've had a standard Fat Head ii on loan at my place and I've been loving it for room mic, hand percussion and some guitar tracks. The one I'm borrowing doesn't even have the Ludahl transformer. I figured if I was going to pay a bit more for the better transformer, I could anti up for the better wiring, nicer connector, better grill design and hand checked quality control. It's really another $120 to go from a fancy transformer Fat Head to the Gomez.

I really held out and kept thinking of getting the more famous R121 but so many people who work with them haven't given strong enough praise in it's daily usefulness for me to want to pony up twice as much.

I'll be sure to post a review when I start using it in session in July. I will also have the opportunity to stack it next to the Fat Head and see how many inches the better specs add.