Los Angeles, Seattle, or Portland?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Where would you live?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Seattle WA
55%
Portland OR
27%
Los Angeles CA
18%

Total votes: 11

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Los Angeles, Seattle, or Portland?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 pm

We're thinking of eventually moving away from Los Angeles.

So, these other two cities seem like good choices, Seattle, and Portland.

Pros/ Cons for each? Would you stay in LA?

My main income, is not recording, but I would like to continue making records with people.Which means I'd like a place with a decent musical scene.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Do you like the rain? I mean, really, really like the rain?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

AnalogAnxiety
audio school

Post by AnalogAnxiety » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Do you like the rain? I mean, really, really like the rain?
Seriously. We're talking overcast skies and rain for 8-9 months straight. Not even natives like myself are immune to the seasonal depression. Personally, if it wasn't for the fact that my parents are getting older and I might possibly have to deal with the things that go along with that, I would rather move back to Austin (where I was for 5 years) or some other warmer place (Memphis? Atlanta? New Orleans?).

terryb
pushin' record

Post by terryb » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:45 am

I've been in portland the last 5 years and was in albuquerque the 5 years before that.
I do miss the sunshine, but not the heat and dry air.

Portland definitely has a thriving music scene, but also 1000 home studios. Of course, I guess that can be said of most any city these days.

Portland also has the feel of a smaller city. I like it. Not too big or sprawling and plenty of entertainment options and outdoors activities.

Personally, i enjoy hiking in the columbia river gorge. It's amazing.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:36 am

Why not San Francisco or Austin? Washington DC has a great amatuer/prosumer music scene, a thriving economy, and a huge tech sector (if that's your day job), but the weather and people kinda suck.

Never been to Portland but Seattle can be kinda weird. Downtown it can get a bit hippy-ish (in both the good and bad senses) and in the suburbs there can be a strange Microsoft and computer programming obsession and culture. But, there are lots of cool places, lots of cool people (a bit hipster/hippy, but nice), lots of great restaurants, and lots of culture. I don't like the rain much but Seattle is pretty when it rains so I never really minded it out there, but I didn't have to sit through 8 or 9 months of it since I've just visited several times. Also, coffee is pretty much everywhere all the time. If you never drink coffee you will feel awkward a bit.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:31 pm

You should stretch a little and not go to obvious places like Portlandia.

* Nashville
* New Orleans
* Twin Cities
* How about the other Portland (Maine)?

Maybe if you want to stay west, try something else like Bend.

Whaddya think?

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Well I'm in Sacramento and not planning to move anytime soon (I'm bringing the first SSL to Sac as I type). But if I did, and it wasn't LA or SF (too expensive for me), then it'd probably be Seattle.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:28 pm

kayagum wrote:You should stretch a little and not go to obvious places like Portlandia.

* Nashville
* New Orleans
* Twin Cities
* How about the other Portland (Maine)?

Maybe if you want to stay west, try something else like Bend.

Whaddya think?
I lived in Saint Paul for a few years and it was a pretty cool place to live, as far as things to do and music scene goes. The winters didn't bug me because I was from Iowa...AND people in Minnesota know how to drive in it, AND Minnesota knows how to clear the roads efficiently.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:52 pm

I've lived in Seattle for 10 years and I like it just fine. Tons of bands, cool culture, lots of outdoorsy activities that are readily accessible. Though Bend has always been intriguing...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Chicago. I'd never live in Los Angeles, though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 pm

The twin cities might not be pleasant for someone used to southern california weather...

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 am

I lived in Portland for 4 years and loved it. But now I live in LA and I would probably not move back because of the weather. It is rough. And Seattle's weather is worse plus the traffic is a nightmare and the people have second-tier-city complex (similar to Napoleon complex).

What about Denver? Colorado has surprisingly great weather much of the time. I visited briefly and was mighty impressed. Just a thought.

Marwood Williams
pluggin' in mics

Post by Marwood Williams » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I've been in Seattle since the mid 1990s and still love living here. There's been a lot of growth here of late - which makes it more expensive to live. However, there's a lot of cool things to do here, whether it's cultural events or getting out in the great outdoors.

Portland is a great place too - It has a better public transportation system and as others have noted, it's got a excellent music scene.

If you don't mind some clouds and rain - and you have a laid back personality, you
will do fine in the Pacific Northwest.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:31 pm

LA has a million cool neighborhoods and a million musicians. Some people cast judgment too soon on LA based on their minimal exposure to their surroundings.
Maybe explore LA and the surrounding cities a little more, However, the club scene is the worst I've seen in a long time.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:24 am

forget all those has-been towns. move to DETROIT. you could probably buy a whole neighborhood for a few thousand bucks. AND you could have jeff robinson be your intern!