Los Angeles, Seattle, or Portland?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Where would you live?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Seattle WA
55%
Portland OR
27%
Los Angeles CA
18%

Total votes: 11

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:40 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:forget all those has-been towns. move to DETROIT. you could probably buy a whole neighborhood for a few thousand bucks. AND you could have jeff robinson be your intern!
You Win the response of the Week.

I'll move to Detroit, buy out a few city blocks, and make Jeff my lordling.

All hail Nick, King of Detroit!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:12 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:forget all those has-been towns. move to DETROIT. you could probably buy a whole neighborhood for a few thousand bucks. AND you could have jeff robinson be your intern!
Ha!

Seriously though, the question that begs asking is: what is it about where you're at now that's lacking?

I harbor plenty of fantasies about moving but usually the realities of a life elsewhere make me realize that everywhere i go, there I'll be. My shit will follow me all over the place and unless I have a good reason for being in a specific location, nothing's going to magically fix (what I perceive at least as) my inadequacies.

I've also come to realize that I am truly afraid of the modern busy world in many ways and desire to live a simpler existence day to day. Have thought many times about moving up the coast a little bit, like within a couple of hours of LA, but that shits expensive. I mostly just miss green things.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:46 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:forget all those has-been towns. move to DETROIT. you could probably buy a whole neighborhood for 35 bucks. AND you could have jeff robinson be your intern!
FYP

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:03 pm

hell, if we pooled our dough, we could probably buy the whole city. rename it Legit-town.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:26 pm

"Hey, what part of Legit-town do you live in?"

"Oh, I've got this sweet spot over in Thirtyfivedollarsburg."
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm

DrummerMan wrote:"Hey, what part of Legit-town do you live in?"

"Oh, I've got this sweet spot over in Thirtyfivedollarsburg."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just to chime in, if you decide (why would you?) to East Coast it, Philadelphia is going through a renaissance right now (not the fair). Lots of killer music (War on Drugs, Nightlands, Spacin', Purling Hiss, Lantern, Solar Motel Band, are some of my favs/friends). Great venues. Growing at a few new ones each year. More and more people staying after college is translating to crazy art/music scenes cropping up like weeds. I'm 40 this year and have been very active playing here the past few years. Beer town, too. And lots of farmer's markers and stuff.

Houses are really affordable. I paid under $150K for mine 5 years ago BEFORE the crash. Also, close to NYC (90 miles), and accessible by bus, car, train, helicopter (if you have one).

Downside: school system sucks. My friends who have/are having kids now are freaking out. There are some great suburbs right outside of the city with great schools, though, so you could always have a studio in the city and drive 20 minutes home.

My brother has been in Portland with a great job for nearly a year and he loves it out there, but the lack of sun definitely gets to him. That said, I also love it there and I'm planning on visiting him again this fall. It's a great town.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord