Most mixes in a day record.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Most mixes in a day record.

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am

I'm bored and was thinking about this topic so I thought I'd inflict said boredom upon my fellow TapeOppers. Ya know for fun.

So I had two thoughts. What's the most mixes you've done in a day? I've never kept track but I'd reckon for me it's something like 11 or 12 songs in a day. Now that's based on say a simple rock record with the same track layouts and mixed from tape through a console so the sounds are already laid out and nothing really changes. I'm kinda jealous of the guys who get a day or more to mix but I think I'd keep second guessing myself if I had all that time to think about a mix.

Then I wondered what the world record is for mixes in a day. I know no one keeps track. Maybe there should be some sponsored event. They wouldn't have to be great mixes but plausible. I wonder how many songs I could do in 24 hours assuming all the songs were in shape and mix ready and weren't epics. Upper 30s? I'd wanna do it through a console.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 am

I don't know about songs, but doing postproduction on spots the top number is probably between 50 and 100 mixes in a day. That's versioning though...individual spots, maybe 30?
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 am

Twenty-three.

Friday: the band, old friends of mine (honky-tonk trio: vocals/acoustic guitar, pedal steel, electric bass) drove into town (Boston) on tour. we set up, got sounds, and then got really drunk.

Saturday: started early. the band recorded twenty-three songs live to 1/2" 8-track, no overdubs. then around 7PM we packed up, drove to a nearby club, and they played a show (to very few people) that I'd set up for them. then we got really drunk, again.

Sunday: I drank a boatload of coffee, mixed twenty-three songs from the 1/2" 8-track to 1/4" 2-track, handed a reference CD to the band, and they got back in the car to drive to the next gig.

which was in Indiana.

(then I slept for a long time.)

it was fortunate that all the songs had a relatively similar sonic profile, same track layout, etc. ... but man, was I starting to feel a little insane after ten or fifteen songs, much less all twenty-three! incidentally, not a single mix needed to be re-done....
get up with it

AndersonSoundRecording
ass engineer

Post by AndersonSoundRecording » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:13 am

working a festival recently, all going live to air.

6 sets, figure 10-12 songs per hour long set, so that's about 60 or 70 songs.

I'm not saying they were GOOD mixes...
I heard they inserted a Jimmy Hendrix into the chain somewhere before the preamp.

...Anybody know what that preamp was, 'cause I'd also love to get that sound.

- Mike Tate
https://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
andersonsoundrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm

i mix really, really, really slowly. i don't think i've ever mixed ANYTHING in one day. except for once, because i had to.

so my record is two. tracks 5 and 7 on this thing.

mixed in one very long day. there was a lot of coffee involved, and not much food. i mastered the whole thing the next day.

i should mention that the rest of the record was mixed by tchad blake, so not only did i have to mix the two songs in a day, they had to reasonably stand up next to the work of the guy who's, you know, MY HERO. intimidating!

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:18 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i mix really, really, really slowly. i don't think i've ever mixed ANYTHING in one day. except for once, because i had to.

mixed in one very long day. there was a lot of coffee involved, and not much food. i mastered the whole thing the next day.

i should mention that the rest of the record was mixed by tchad blake, so not only did i have to mix the two songs in a day, they had to reasonably stand up next to the work of the guy who's, you know, MY HERO. intimidating!
Yeah, I can totally understand that.

Mixing is an interesting thing to quantify. Not really helpful but interesting. For me it tends to be logarithmic. 80% of the mix happens fairly quickly and then the other 20% takes forever. That's a bit of the thinking behind my initial question.

Working so quickly that you don't have a chance to second guess and doubt yourself. If I mix slow I over analyze everything and often not get very far. The kick, the snare, the hh, the sidestick in those 4 bars in the bridge. If I do a fast faders up mix then the problem tracks really stand out and I figure out what I need to work on.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i mix really, really, really slowly. i don't think i've ever mixed ANYTHING in one day. except for once, because i had to.

So odd that she lists no credits ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 am

she's an odd bird. you'll just have to believe me.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 am

vvv wrote:So odd that she lists no credits ...
Yeah, I spent a bit trying to see what was what. No. 5 was haunting.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:08 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:she's an odd bird. you'll just have to believe me.
I wan't disbelieving you!

I was just commenting on her not so listing.

Lemme add, somewhat OT, I just (1 month ago) got asked to join a rock band what is folk-based, instead of the usual blues-based, or even funk-based.

It's a bit of a different musical head for me, lots of 7ths and 9ths and the writer talking about Db and Bb in the key of E ...

So of course, I've been using my fretless bass. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 pm

vvv wrote:Bb in the key of E
that's not folk-based, that's METAL! :devil:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 pm