How do I incorporate a Neve VR-60 console w/ my modest setup

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Wasoba
ass engineer

How do I incorporate a Neve VR-60 console w/ my modest setup

Post by Ryan Wasoba » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey folks. Longtime troll, first time posting in a few years.

In March I moved my studio from my house into a commercial space in Edwardsville, IL. I have a pretty non-elaborate setup (gear list at http://birdcloudrecording.tumblr.com ). Echo Audiofire 12 into an iMac using outboard pres. I have a Yamaha MG32 mixer that I use almost exclusively for playback and talkback.

The owner of a defunct studio I have worked out of offered to let me gear-sit and possibly rent-to-own his Neve VR60. I am familiar with the board, but I know it's going to be a bear to incorporate into what I am using now.

There are some technical questions; I don't know how the TT patchbay is going to play with my outboard stuff, for example.

The other issue is that this seems like the opportune time to bite the bullet and go ProTools HD. I'm not opposed to having an outdated PT setup, but I am intimidated and confused by what gear I actually need to achieve an HD setup.

Any advice, as well as any complication I might be missing, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks.
http://birdcloudrecording.tumblr.com <-- stu stu studio. oh oh.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:17 am

30k worth of air conditioning, a fire extinguisher, and a soldering iron.
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:56 am

You would probably do better with something smaller and less maintainence intensive. Do you need 60 inputs?? Do you need 120 inputs on mixdown? Its a great console, when set up and working properly, and maintained regularly. Which is really expensive. There are better roads you can travel. A 20 year old VR60 will put you in the poorhouse, in a short amount of time.......

Ryan Wasoba
ass engineer

Post by Ryan Wasoba » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:18 am

I know it's a more intense console than I need, but it's available from a friend who just wants it to be used so it doesn't sit in storage.

As far as the AC goes, I am planning to build a new control room next to the HVAC. I have an enormous tracking room (2k square feet) and much of it is not being used, so the console might be the catalyst to go through with that plan.
http://birdcloudrecording.tumblr.com <-- stu stu studio. oh oh.

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 am

Well, good luck. They are a bear to maintain, and are expensive to keep running. Thats just the facts, dude. I dont know what you pay in rent, but the cost of regular maintainence/HVAC on one of those could easily outstrip what your monthly rent is. You realize you will have to install a seperate electrical service just for it, right?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am

I assume the VR has Elco connectors that fan to snakes. You can customize the ends to match your gear (TRS on some XLR on others) and your gear should all be accessible from the patch bay. Unbalanced gear may be an issue.

AC is the key to those consoles from what I hear. Also having 60 channels is good because some won't work a good portion of the time, and then you can patch around them.

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Do you have the option of breaking into smaller pieces? The VR 60 is 5 x 12 buckets of modules. If you got 2 buckets plus the master section, that would give you 24 on the record side and 48 on mix. You would need a VR tech to fix it up like that, but that would be your best option. You would save ALOT on power consumption, HVAC cost etc. Dont underestimate the cost of peripheral stuff like running it for 12 to 14 hours a day. It adds up. Quick. Does it have automation? When was the last time it had a recap? PSU service? Questions you need to answer before taking on a beast like that. Heres another question for ya... Is your workspace located on the first floor?
Transport will include breaking it down and getting it into your workspace........

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:25 am

Does the Edwardsville, IL area have a demand for this? Why did the owner shut it down? Got tech? What rate could you get with it? Will the Pro Tools guy down the street undercut your rates? Got wife? Got kids? Want them?

All good questions to answer before you commit, not after.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Ok. Guess I'll be the first to say something a little more positive... Not that you shouldn't seriously consider everything that has been said here, as it's all great advise and is something you should think long and hard about.

My guess is that you have. I mean you yourself have worked on that console, plus the one guy who would know the most about that particular console (matainence cost, electrical/HVAC utility costs, HVAC requirement costs, etc.), is a friend of yours.

I say more power to you! Good luck with your endeavor!

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 am

Recording Engineer wrote:... more power to you!
lolz

edit: don't want this to be misconstrued. It struck me as funny that the naysayers are warning him of power consumption. Hence why I laughed at @Recording Engineer's choice of words. Thank you and goodnight.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 pm

If you've got a lot of money spend on the just the cabling and appropriate I/O for your setup to actually make this work, and your friend is going to pay for all maintenance, and you have an abundance of space...sounds like an okay deal.

Otherwise, best case scenario it sounds a lot like something that might look impressive in your studio but will be a burden to actually use it as intended, or to its capacity, like parking an antique car in your control room or something, if you don't have some kind of maintenance agreement.

My 2 cents.

I'm not saying I wouldn't consider it if I were in your shoes, but I would probably not jump right into that decision either.

studilaroche
studio intern

Post by studilaroche » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:43 pm

A lot of good points have been presented thus far.

Also, Wooden Wand? Super Cool!

-Ben

mcmike
audio school

Post by mcmike » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:17 am

Watch out for flying switch caps!
:shake: