Evilbog issues, again

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

Evilbog issues, again

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Bought a Altec 1589b on 8-31-13 after winning the bid, paying within a few hours, deliverable last Friday, the 6th, by priority mail.

No response to 3 "Shipped yet?" inquiries, I hadda "open a case".

Is it just me, or does it seem about 10-15% of purchases of used music equip. fall through?

Someone told me music equip, cars and, I think watches, get the most complaints.

Special thank you to the seller, turkboys who can't even be bothered to offer an excuse for taking my money without sending the item.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:19 pm

By winning on Friday August 31st at 6pm the first business day "turkboys" could have potentially sent the thing out and had it actually go anywhere is Tuesday September 3rd. Most sellers on eBay quote 2-5 business days handling time, given the national holiday it would not surprise me if the seller took additional vacation following as well.

You will probably not agree with me, but it may be a tad unreasonable to expect a prompt response around a national holiday. Most sellers do not do it for a living and do not spent every waking moment on the computer ready to answer questions every 5 minutes (are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet?).

My experience is that chronic complainers are most likely to find themselves in situations that make them unhappy, regardless of the industry.

Best

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:55 pm

I also bought something on the bay recently - in fact it was on 9/1. I just got it today. where it shipped from is a two-day trip by USPS or UPS/FedEx ground. but I got it today because they shipped last Friday (so actually USPS outdid themselves by getting here today!). I understand the holiday delay and expected something like that. They didn't mark it as shipped or give me a tracking number. I usually don't get too nervous until a week or so goes by (eBay/PayPal usually won't do anything right away anyway - and rightly so). anyway finally Thursday i get a message about "having paypal issues - sorry. will ship it tomorrow". ok, yeah, whatever...

so yeah, that's not how I'd do it, but I've gotten used to it on eBay. Craigslist is honestly not much better. After you sort out the spam, probably <50% of the people that respond are going to show up.

if you want great service, then that's what legit retail businesses are for - granted you'd pay a lot more at Vintage King or something like that but you will probably get a product that is 100% in working order, and it will be shipped when they tell you its going to be, and it will probably be packed well enough that it shows up in one piece.

8)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:01 pm

kslight wrote:
My experience is that chronic complainers are most likely to find themselves in situations that make them unhappy, regardless of the industry.

Best
Yeah, I got your best, kslight.

I note that I have requested confirmation of shipping 3x since Thursday - no reply - seller stated priority delivery by last Friday and no receipt.

This is a recurrent issue of non-professionalism/inconsideration/thieving on Ebay; the only thing I ever got by being patient was a delay in the resolution of the problem.

And BTW, this is apparently not "industry" - it's a private seller stealing, at the very least, the use of my capital. At the time I bought this there were two other units for sale I passed on because I paid, immediately, for this. :x

But lemme further note, my experience is that you have repeatedly name-called and personally attacked me, so piss off and take your anger issues and bad-business defenses with you - I'll certainly not knowingly ever do business with any such as yerself, nor give any credence to the biased and probably insincere opinions you seem to think so worth insulting me with. :roll:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Digitaldrummer, yeah, I hear and agree with you.

That said, the seller represented USPS Priority Mail, which is why I asked for tracking numbers on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, with no reply.

I opened a complaint at noon, 13 hours ago - no reply.

It's been 9 days total, and Tuesday through Saturday makes 5, and Monday, makes 6 total business days without the item, or response, and the seller holding my money.

I'm not worried - US$110 is relatively nominal (about 6 martoonies + tip :twisted: ) - it's the principle of the thing, hence my post asking if others have had similar experience with Ebay.

I don't sell there or on Craigslist (where I've only had mebbe 5 buying transactions but all good), but am re-thinking my use of Ebog because this has happened about 10-15 times in my 130 or so purchases, almost all of music equipment.

Oh, and for kslightweight and its ilk, lemme note that other than 1 time, I won every dispute, which I offer to show I was reasonable and in the right each and every time (the one I lost was a dispute with a retail seller re an untested, late-shipped rehab computer peripheral unit where I over-reached by trying to keep the 1/2 functional item until I received the replacement - that didn't fly :lol: - and I posted about it here, where kslight was also condescending, self-righteous and otherwise dooshy).

EDIT to add link.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:21 am

LOLZ.

I've had similar experiences on ebay.

I've sold items to people who were so intensely paranoid about doing online transactions that they freaked and panicked at the notion that I actually lived in the real world and wasn't sitting around waiting to immediately respond to their correspondence. I'm sure they also had some nickname for ebay that they thought was cute.

You should definitely stop using ebay. It sounds like it's driving you crazy. I definitely think your statistics are suspect. I've never had the kind of problems you seem to have frequently. I've been conned and genuinely ripped off on ebay one time, and it wasn't music gear. I should have known better. But, ebay made it all right in a reasonable amount of time and I barely felt victimized.

I'm not making any kind of judgement about your transaction. You very well may have been ripped off. If so, you should be thankful that ebay will be there to correct it. But, you should stop using ebay. You don't seem to be very happy with the process and you're clearly not an eBayer who's easy to do business with. I recommend finding an alternative way to purchase gear where the grass is always just as green as can be.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the considered and mostly polite reply, chris harris.

In response, lemme note that as a business man, I'm not "easy to do business with", period. :lol:

And mebbe y'all think I moved too quick, but lemme note that my money was paid on September 1, and I've neither any information, nor the item - my experience is that communication is important, and there's been none to this minute.

My figures are accuarate. The worse rip was a guy who took US$400+ for an ISA One and didn't deliver. Took me 3 weeks to get my money back (about 2 1/2 years ago - the process is better, now.)

Top of my head, I had a guy rip me off on SM57's (fake), on a Shiny Box 23L (I stupidly tried to fix and couldn't), on EV Slimaire mic's (twice), on a EV664, on a Shure Mixer, on a black Rat-Shack EQ (seriously!), on Optimus speakers, on a mini guitar amp, ...

That's 10 issues I could think of just sitting here, plus the afore-mentioned computer peripheral makes 11 - I'm sure I don't recall them all.

EDIT: I paid for a amp attenuator I never got - that took a couple weeks to get the money back, also. (ISA1-boy and attenuator boy both got bounced offa the 'bay, I believe, also.) And that's 12 issues.

And of course, the numbers are high for me as I typically buy electronics, and often vintage electronics.

That said, I'm not so much bitching as telling the story - I have no doubt I shall prevail because I have fulfilled my duties and followed the rules. My point, again, was to ask if others have similar issues and similar percentages of them.

As a buyer, only, I appreciate that sellers (I guess you are one?) have something of a different take. After all, you speak of buyers who are "intensely paranoid" and "freaked and panicked". And you imply I've been driven "crazy", call into question my statistics and imply that I'm not a good "ebayer" (which is a phony and dishonest marketing concept, BTW, altho I note my 130 successful buys - 8 in the last 60 days - and 100% rating - are you really sure I'm that bad?) and shouldn't use the service.

Wrong.

I like the deals and the opportunity to get rare items, and have had a good experience 85-90% of the time initially (better than my girlfriend and wife ratios :twisted: ), and only been dissatisfied 1 time (that computer peripheral dealio, as a result of which I no longer buy from large commercial sellers whom I believe have too much leverage - the 'net is replete with seemingly credible sites and stories of commercial sellers gaming the system.)

I like to say it's better to gamble on the 'bay than on the boats - but cheaters shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

And I don't harass sellers or have unreasonable expectations of them; I just want them to fulfill the contract terms they promise, and are bound to fulfill when they accept my bid.

It is a contract, BTW, and it's possible someday a big enuff deal (mebbe for a car?) or enuff deals to make a class action fall apart and the matters end up in court, altho' Ebay is overall very smart in how they manage their business.

But yep, you definitely don't wanna fuck with me if you are selling to me.

Finally, please admit it, "Evil-bog" is cute. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Sent: Sep-11-13 12:19 PM
Seller's message:
"I'm so sorry about the delay. My wife had a baby!! It has delayed me shipping this and several others. I'll get it out ASAP. Again, I'm sorry."
-----------------------------------------------------

You have responded to the seller. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Your message to the seller:
"Please send item and post shipping number, ASAP."

11+ hours ago: NO RESPONSE. :evil:

See, I woos't out in the face of the above posters' critiques and what happens?

No response, no shipping #, no receipt, more delay ...

Congrats to the doosh if he really did have a baby, but fuck 'im for apparently stealing my money, or at least 13 days of its use.

So now , I'll just go thru the process to get my $ back.

For the umpteenth time. :roll:

Again, are all y'all sure this kinda shite ain't happen to you?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:23 am

30+ hours, 1 week overdue, no response.

Escalated.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:39 am

Jeez, man... I thought you were overreacting a bit to start, but that the way people here jumped on you was all out of proportion. But now... for Chrissakes, dude, they just had a baby. I'm going to have to assume you don't have any kids and have no idea what that's like. This isn't Walmart you're dealing with here, it's a couple who just had a baby. Holy frijoles! Cut them some slack.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:20 am

Wanna buy a bridge? :lol:

Still no communication, no shipping number not even a "screw you".

And, not that it's necessarily relevant, but I have sole custody of my 2 kids.

Refunded.

Isn't it interesting that I won a bid of US$90 onna "untested" item worth mebbe $2-300? Think he tested it?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am

One sold the very next day for $93, listed as fully functional. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-1589-B-mi ... 2a30bc379e

This one was "working when removed from service", and sold for $79. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansing-1 ... 3a81fb5eb4

So that's really not so odd.

It's possible the guy was lying about the baby, but why assume that? Seems a bit paranoid to me. You think he's investing your $100 in complex derivatives for a couple weeks to make some extra profit?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am

Well, the fact that it's worth less than I thought (and probably would have paid), doesn't change the fact that 48 hours after I agreed to accept late delivery despite the week + non-communication and delay, there's still been no shipping or contact, and apparently E-Bay agreed.

I've been refunded.

That said, yes, I do believe "It's possible the guy was lying about the baby", I think it likely, as a matter of fact. Despite his hitherto good record, his conduct leaves me no choice but to assume he's lying about something, and, apparently, E-Bay agreed.

But in your opinion, what am I, this guy's insurer? His friend? Do I have some obligation here to
1. believe his story; and,
2. accept his lack of communication and performance, twice?

This was an "arms-length" business deal and he failed to keep his end of the bargain.

And perhaps this is why I'm being criticized by y'all. Do you see Ebay as anything other than a commercial sales site, wherein you enter into a contract to sell or buy? Even if the seller is not a commercial entity (I don't think so, or I never would have bought from him), this is no different than buying an item from any other stranger.

Or is it that the money is relatively nominal? Would you "like me better" here if it was about $1,000.00?

BTW, if the guy had communicated directly - and not just in response to opening the case - I would have cooperated with him even more, been even more patient. But I did cut him the one break, and he still didn't perform.

As stated above, I'm in business; mebbe I'm a cynic, but I see this crap all the time, I have a good nose for it, and I seldom believe "the dog ate my homework" stories because they are so seldom true. BTW, know why they do sometimes work? Because the liar lies about something with "sex appeal", ex., a death in the family, or a birth. (But even if it were true, it doesn't excuse a 2 week delay in shipping, lack of comm., etc.)

Finally, re his "motive", if it's not because of my mistaken valuing of the item, what do you think it really is? I haven't had the use of my money for nearly two weeks - mebbe he used it to pay for "complex derivative" diapers? I have no idea, mebbe he's just that incompetent or distracted - but why should I lose time and money for that?

Oh, and lose the opportunity to speedily obtain another such item because he tied up my funds with his bullshit ...

(Double-secret probation BTW: I think I paid about US$150 for my 1589b here a year or 2 ago. I didn't research the price, I bought it on considered impulse, mebbe as a project to repair, in order to have two for stereo. That said, there are currently none for sale on Ebog.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:37 am

good gawd.... LOLZ!

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:54 am

V, I think you need to sharpen your Occam's razor some, or better yet, just get a new one (but not on ebay!).