Multi channel DAC for modest price?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

L?Andratt
audio school graduate

Multi channel DAC for modest price?

Post by L?Andratt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:28 am

Hi everybody

I?m looking for a decent min. 8 channels DAC for simultaneously homerecording as many outputs of my mixer (used with modular synthesizer) and looking for good quality audio. No problem, BUT: I can only afford (absolut max.) like 2000$...

I?m using OS 10.6 on IMac 10,1 with Logic 9.1.5

Looking at the A&H ICE 16 for example, but it has some flaws, like always recording 16 tracks, e.g. even if you record only 5. That sucks.

So educated guesses welcome!!!
Thanks!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 am

Echo Audiofire converters are solid and affordable. Nothing exciting, but nothing that's going to ruin your mixes.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 am

Motu.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

L?Andratt
audio school graduate

Post by L?Andratt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks for the quick answers!

Well, I forgot to say, I don?t need all the preamp/routing features, since I like what I already got 8)

I?m currently staring very hard at this piece :wink:

http://spl.info/index.php?id=2952&L=1

Only ?downside?I can see, is, I would have to wire the sub25 connectors to xlr/6.3mm jacks... And that doesn?t count since it is only laziness-

Any opinions?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:58 am

MOTU.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:24 am

Sounds like you need 8 channels of ADC.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:32 am

If you're lucky enough to spot one, you can get a used gadgetlabs wavepro 8 channel ADC/DAC for $100 to $150. They work great and are reliable. The company doesn't exist anymore, but dedicated fans continue to write new drivers, so drivers exist for current operating systems. I've always been very happy with mine.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm

The Gadget Labs was the first converter I ever used. I used two of them for 16 i/o and loved them.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:53 pm

M Audio Lightbridge plus Alesis HD24XR = 24 simultaneous ins, or 12 at 96khz. My setup for years. Like Chris pointed out, it sounds like you need ADC, not DAC.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 am

kslight wrote:M Audio Lightbridge plus Alesis HD24XR = 24 simultaneous ins, or 12 at 96khz. My setup for years. Like Chris pointed out, it sounds like you need ADC, not DAC.
That's what I use here. Had that thing since 2001. The best part is they through a hard drive recorder in for free. It's bit accurate with outboard converters so it's never out of date. Feed it through a PCM4222 ADC and it sounds about as good as good gets.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

UAD Apollo DUO

Post by Mixwell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am

For 2K the UAD Apollo DUO is a great option for a 8x8 ADA Interface. It is high quality product and value for what you get. It adds UAD Processing along to a fully featured interface for both Mac and Windows OS.
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

TheStevens
pushin' record

Post by TheStevens » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm happy with my RME Fireface 800 as an ADC/DAC and interface with OSX/Pro Tools. 8 analog i/o plus i think 10 more digital (ADAT plus SPDIF)

Although if you don't need the interface, you might be able to get more bang for the buck with just an ADC.

L?Andratt
audio school graduate

Post by L?Andratt » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Like!

This is a colourful discussion and I?m all ears!
As Chris Harris said, ADC is what I need mainly. It was a misspelling rather than a
misconception :roll:

I know my analogue stuff, but with digital I?m at a loss, e.g. some say with converters
go for the best specs, others say, well, 16 bit/44 kHz, it?s CD quality, what do you need more (like that Gadgetlab thingy).

While that Universal Audio Apollo is kind of nauseating me :shock: :worthy:

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:54 pm

L?Andratt? wrote:I know my analogue stuff, but with digital I?m at a loss, e.g. some say with converters
go for the best specs, others say, well, 16 bit/44 kHz, it?s CD quality, what do you need more (like that Gadgetlab thingy).
Here's an analog analogy: Suppose your final product is going to be a cassette tape... will it make a difference if your tracks and mixdown are done on 2" tape vs. a cassette multitrack? Yes, it will, even though both will end up on a cassette. Same thing with digital. Recording and mixing with 32 bit float will get you better results than doing the whole thing from the beginning in 16 bit, even though your final master will be 16 bit.

Or imagine a photography project where you're going to collage some photos, take a pic of the collage, repeat this process, then collage the collage pics and take a final picture of the result with a particular low-res camera. It will be a lot clearer if you take the initial photos and intervening stages with a high-res camera than with the low-res one, even though you'll use the low-res for the final pic regardless.