Distressor... Too good for home recording?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Re: oh my, oh my

Post by Jim Williams » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 am

Mixwell wrote:Jim loves beating up the EL8's "spec's". I guess it's because he hasn't found any applications to use one. I gather from his specification analyzation that he thinks it sounds bad.
Specs do tell a story, but the ears tell me it's not something I would select unless I wanted to "ugly-fy" a track. Being said, it would be a contender for a rap "vocal".

Having the opprotunity to use and test it allowed me to evaluate it's use.

I determined I have about 10 other products I would use first. Therefore, I have no need for this device here as I don't do rap and all the other bases are well covered.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Spark
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Spark » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Jim Williams wrote:It's about the closest thing to a guitar fuzz box you can buy in a rack.
Well, no.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:51 pm

I had a distressor at one point that I bought second hand. I sort of want one again.

But anyway, my point in posting is in regard to the company. I had an IC go out on it, (easy fix but I didn't wanna deal with it at the time and didn't know what was wrong) and sent it to Empirical Labs and they fixed it no charge and even gave me a new chassis top because the old one was scratched. Also no charge. Rad. Good folks in my experience.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I can often identify a track produced by Tricky the UK Producer / DJ by a sort of grainy / gravelly quality he has to his lead vocals.

Surfing youtube tracks and listening closely for the first time I learn he often blends in a low double underneath higher female leads, but there is also some noise added.. sometimes on other instruments too.

Not the best example but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEPneL-YF3k might do.

Is this one thing a distressor can do? Or is this more an aural exciter on 11?

Any idea for a good logic plugin for me to try this in the box?

I've tried googling... If you want to keep all your production ideas secret use a common word as a stage name!

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Re: my oh my my

Post by Mixwell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:11 am

Jim Williams wrote:
Mixwell wrote:Jim loves beating up the EL8's "spec's". I guess it's because he hasn't found any applications to use one. I gather from his specification analyzation that he thinks it sounds bad.
Specs do tell a story, but the ears tell me it's not something I would select unless I wanted to "ugly-fy" a track. Being said, it would be a contender for a rap "vocal".

Having the opprotunity to use and test it allowed me to evaluate it's use.

I determined I have about 10 other products I would use first. Therefore, I have no need for this device here as I don't do rap and all the other bases are well covered.
Sounds like you need to venture off of the NUKE ratio.

I've used EL8's THOUSANDS of times, and while it is easy to make them sound like fuzz boxes and "uglify" things with distortion, [you'd have to be "new" to f$ck it up]

.....it's also pretty easy to use it as a clean compressor/limiter. IF you know what your doing. First step......learning.

I used two of em on Kick and Snare for tracking basics the other day. There was no problem. I wasn't going for fuzz or ugly.

Only soft knee mild peak compression.

Whatever,
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:34 am

Horses for courses. .4% THD is not what I would consider "clean", especially transistor/diode THD that is full of odd harmonic partials.

Then again, I don't sell them so I have no agenda with Emperical Labs.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mixwell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:36 pm

I don't think your commentary is likely to be helpful to those seeking advice about the compressor's actual operation.

I sell Empirical Labs products, yes. I believe they make excellent products as Dave has very smart design goals.

Don't you modify them for a price?

Perhaps we are both at odds here. This is why I speak as a user of gear. I don't comment on gear I do not use. It is often in poor form.

It is not worth my time. And I do not sell gear that I wouldn't use myself.

Have a most excellent afternoon,
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"