Pitchshifting with MIDI input?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Pitchshifting with MIDI input?

Post by LupineSound » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:36 am

I'm looking for a piece of gear that I'm not sure exists. I would like to take a sound (white noise, guitar loop, sample, etc.) and be able to change it to a specific pitch by pressing a note on a MIDI keyboard.

So for example:
white noise > analog in of pitchshifter
I press F# on a MIDI keyboard
pitchshifter tunes the white noise to F#
F# white noise > analog out

Ideally, I would like to find something like this in a guitar pedal (for live performance), but I could resort to software, if necessary.

Does this exist?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:45 am

Technically, if it's really white noise, there's no "pitch" in it to shift.

But the old Eventide H3000 would do something similar - use MIDI input to set the shift amount.

But it was more a matter of using the MIDI input to tell it what interval to shift (up a major third, down an octave, etc). You'd have to know the original pitch, and the interval needed to getit where you want it to go. It wouldn't force the input to F#...though maybe autotune would do that?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Pretty sure the Digitech Vocalist processors (at least some of them) will do something close to what you're asking as well.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:14 pm

With white noise you could do what you're looking for with any bandpass filter with a CV input and an expression pedal, as long as you're not afraid to tune it by ear.

If it needs to be digitally tuned the H3000 would do the job but might be overkill. But white noise contains all frequencies equally (theoretically), so you shouldn't need to shift it, just filter out what you don't want.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:00 am

A sampler

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:10 pm

I did this with a MicroKorg once. I'm not sure if I did a bandpass filter with cutoff set to track the keyboard, or possibly used the vocoder somehow... anyway it's possible with a Microkorg.

it's the last minute or so of this old thing:
http://horsesaw.com/RbyR/Saw_Horse_-_Ra ... Ground.mp3

If that's the type of thing you're looking for, I could try to remember more exactly what I did, but it was basically a question of twisting knobs until it begged for mercy.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 pm

The Scum wrote:Technically, if it's really white noise, there's no "pitch" in it to shift.

But the old Eventide H3000 would do something similar - use MIDI input to set the shift amount.

But it was more a matter of using the MIDI input to tell it what interval to shift (up a major third, down an octave, etc). You'd have to know the original pitch, and the interval needed to getit where you want it to go. It wouldn't force the input to F#...though maybe autotune would do that?
when I started interning in a studio in..ugh, 2001, they told me that prior to getting the antares plugins, they would automate a fader on the console (euphonix cs2000) to send midi signals to the 3000, which had the vocal going through the audio path. They'd record, trim, trim, trim, moving the fader incrementally over certain syllables to shift the pitch a few cents for a few milliseconds....

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Yup - exactly.

Only it was about 1995, and we used the pitchwheel from a DX7 or M1.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."