How to remove bass piezo attack(?) clicks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

How to remove bass piezo attack(?) clicks

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Aiight, threw down a quick bass line, an acoustic-electric bass into a Brick and dbx160XT, didn't check any settings, just used the default setting for my P bass.

Not sure but don't think its the pre or compressor - I think it's the piezo pick-up?

Anyway, what's the easiest way to fix this track? (I don't wanna re-play it as it's a live jam; I know I can de-click it by hand but ...)

Small snippet example, here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 am

High pass at 40hz or so, followed by really fast compression @ 4 to1 has worked for me in the past. You can also find the frequency of the click & notch a lot of it out.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:53 am

I'll have to play with that; it's not the first time I've had the issue, now I think of it, and always with the acoustic-electric.

Last night I tried a de-click effect in CEP; it took out some but not enuff.

I ended up reversing the de-click effect and going in and manually removing 'em - took about 15 minutes onna 5/12 minute song.

I don't think I got 'em all yet - makes me right now hate being such a busy bass player! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:46 am

If you have Sound Forge (or something similar), you probably have a "vinyl restoration" plug. There's a pretty comprehensive "de-click" in there you could try.

With stuff like that that EQ doesn't quite get, I'd usually go in and do it manually if it was recorded in the box...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:50 am

Just went back and actually listened. That's nothing, buddy. A dear friend and bass-player who has passed used to rest his thumb on the pick-up on the P-bass. Whenever we recorded something (and probably always, but we really only noticed in the studio), he would keep time by _slapping the pick-up_ on all of the backbeats. So every single snare backbeat got a "clithwock." Man, those were a joy to edit...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:18 pm

instruments with active electronics seem to be the worst offenders at this.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:41 pm

Glad it ain't just me!

GJ, I do believe I remember you posting about him before.

And yep, bluesman, this has active electronics.

Amusing related side note: I'm trying to tune the thing during the power outtage we had, by ear, and having a tuff time for some reason with the A string - just can't get it.

And I realize, oh yeah, built-in tuner, right there next to the active EQ. Just hadda also realize that besides the little light-up arrow, there's a little "#" light about an inch over from the note letter - right where I tend to put my hand over it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 pm

I would just EQ that. a hi-Q hipass filter tuned at the fundamental, and a lowpass filter to get rid of the click, you don't need much there above 5kish depending on what else is happening.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I tried the EQ thing, 6th order shelf and also a FFT low-pass, couldn't get more than half out.

I ended up just manually applying the de-click in CEP. 5:30 song took mebbe 15-20 minutes.

I think I was just playing that track too hard, over-driving the pick-up.

However, I do note that my tracks with an opto compressor (Meek) never give me that problem with that bass; mebbe there's some weird interaction with the Brick or the dbx ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kevin206
gettin' sounds

Post by kevin206 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:he would keep time by _slapping the pick-up_ on all of the backbeats.
GJ
I was listening to a band at an outdoor gig a few months back and for five minutes I wondered why the kick drum mic was randomly clipping!

I hear these bass players and I always wonder if I sound the same way when I play.