iLok bit the dust

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:12 pm

I use that Devil-Loc all the time! Love it!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:01 am

chris harris wrote:I use that Devil-Loc all the time! Love it!
Hell yeah. Thing absolutely destroys a drum kit, in the best way.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:11 pm

LowG,
I too, have more cpu and memory than I can imagine using on my desktop, but I don't mind the dsp addition. I don't really see UAD as all that expensive, compared to hardware it's really cheap. I have the Slate VCC and others on Ilok, but wouldn't run them on my laptop, anyway. I only use the laptop for mobile tracking on the Win 7 DAW drive with a usb tracking drive, and for office work along with surfing on the other XP drive.
I'm running mixbus now, and have found their built in effects and add on plugs to be really nice. When the next update comes, it will have full vst /vsti support and multi-processor support. I'm really not lusting for many more effects. An Eventide Harmonizer unit is about all I can think of.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:54 am

I know we've probably beaten this to death in the past, but if something requires an iLok, I don't purchase or use it. I have one software synth that needs an iLok, so I hardly ever use that synth.

I can't imagine that if I lose that little thing the size of a flash drive, I can't perform that night.

All my stuff is legit and requires serial number authorization, and that has never stopped working for me.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:38 am

Yeah, it really depends on where you're coming from and what kind of contingency plan you have. If I was using an iLok for live performance, I can assure you that there would never exist a circumstance where I wouldn't be able to perform because of a defective iLok. I would have ZDT and a spare on hand. No problem. And, that wouldn't be my only backup plan.

I actually do use Cubase (including their USB dongle) in live performance. If the dongle, or the laptop, or the audio interface should ever happen to fail, I've got several backup options. It's no different than bringing along extra guitar strings or a snare head replacement, just in case.