The allure of adding EQ up top. The fear of adding too much

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Shouldn't people get their ears checked if they start feeling the need to add treble to mixes later in their careers? The treble is the first thing to go, no?

I once jammed with these guys after listening to their tunes off of soundcloud or whatever. I thought the mixes were oddly bright and just figured that they liked shit shiny. When I met them they were all middle aged stoners, nylon tips on the drumsticks (ping-pa-ping-ping), ear damage, the whole deal, and it I realized that they just couldn't hear it. The jam degenerated into a "smoke break" before I could figure out a way to try to explain it to them. What?
This is exactly what every Ministry record from the last 10+ years has suffered from.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 am

So Snarl, didja like Al?

And did he have good smoke-age?

Bompy-bomp-bomp ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:43 am

Haven't read the whole thread, so i don't know if this applies...

Just got a Maag 2, i'm loving it! Wonderful on ribbons, even airy mics that you want to add a little more not harsh or tizzy air to. I wouldn't have believed it could sound so good. I could never pull this off ITB.

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Re: The allure of adding EQ up top. The fear of adding too m

Post by GussyLoveridge » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:09 pm

losthighway wrote:
dfuruta wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:2.7k is Satan's Frequency...turn the vocals into laser beams of hate...
Well, shit. Wish I'd known that years ago.
Yeah that's totally one of those where you feel like the lead vocal isn't popping out enough and you start fishing around for frequencies. Some where around there it pops out and you go "hmmmm, that's radically doing something.... but is it better?"

Sometimes eq'ing can be such tail chasing. I hear bad eq decisions I made on mixes years ago in like 5 seconds. At the point of mixing it was an hours long process. Weird.

Me too - But I try and frame it as improving and not as something I'm just embarrassed of. I still dream of remixing my first few projects in another 5-10 years.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:08 pm

drumsound wrote:
I've been intrigued by the MAAG thing too. I saw a yourube video of Cliff Maag explaining how when you set the frequency at 40k (yes FORTY KILOHERTZ) and then crank the boost, it make a subtle effect in the audible high range because it's the bottom of the slope. I might break down and get the plugin soonish.
Ive noticed I approach other 20+k EQs in the same manner.

With my BAE 1023 its got a 24k stop on the shelve. What I'll do is setup another Parametric or shelve to boost around 10-12k. Then I will set the 1023 up at 24k, I'll raise the boost until it starts sou8nding audible, then I'll compare. More often than not the smoother approach is the 24k shelve.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:20 am

one thing i forgot to mention before....

if you're boosting high end on vocals...and you recorded those vocals with an affordable condenser of chinese origin...be VERY MINDFUL of what happens to the sibilants.

if i had a buck for every time i've had to get heavy handed with a de-esser at 10 or 12k, i could pay garges back the two million i owe him, buy a distressor for everyone else on the board, and still have enough left over to spend the rest of my life as an internationally-beloved philanthropist.

i'm just sayin'.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:51 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:one thing i forgot to mention before....

if you're boosting high end on vocals...and you recorded those vocals with an affordable condenser of chinese origin...be VERY MINDFUL of what happens to the sibilants.

if i had a buck for every time i've had to get heavy handed with a de-esser at 10 or 12k, i could pay garges back the two million i owe him, buy a distressor for everyone else on the board, and still have enough left over to spend the rest of my life as an internationally-beloved philanthropist.

i'm just sayin'.
Your Garges debt is up to $2 Million!?! No wonder I can't get a loan.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:22 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:one thing i forgot to mention before....

My love of doing airy vocals with certain genres came right along with the point I started using higher quality microphones. Boosting high end while I was using cheap Chinese mics is what caused me to think there was no such thing as "bright" and "good" - my recordings from those years are dark and lack clarity. Now with using better mics I get the full spectrum back - I actually really love bright sounds amongst darker sounds.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:02 pm

drumsound wrote:just a RCH, can make a huge difference in the perceived brightness.
Did you all catch that?!

Red hair IS very fine.