Mavericks killed my Profire Lightbridge - now what do I use?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chucklesmcfarland
studio intern

Mavericks killed my Profire Lightbridge - now what do I use?

Post by chucklesmcfarland » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:40 pm

My system is built around my Lightbridge which pipes 32 channels of ADAT back and forth to my converters.
It looks like Mavericks isn't supported by Avid for this device, which is understandable considering it's age.
Unfortunately I've never seen any device similar to it.
Any suggestions?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:58 am

Have you tried it?

I'm on Mountain Lion and it works fine?I just assumed it would be fine on Mavericks, but never bothered to upgrade ("if it ain't broke?" software upgrade policy on my end).

chucklesmcfarland
studio intern

Post by chucklesmcfarland » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:10 am

kslight wrote:Have you tried it?

I'm on Mountain Lion and it works fine?I just assumed it would be fine on Mavericks, but never bothered to upgrade ("if it ain't broke?" software upgrade policy on my end).

Yes I tried it, it's very unhappy

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm

chucklesmcfarland wrote:

Hmm that sucks. Well hopefully at least a couple years before I'm forced to upgrade?I only upgraded to 10.8 when Reason 7 came out and required at least 10.7 (was happily on 10.68).

Is downgrading your OS back to 10.8 an option?

I think your firewire options are pretty limited, unless you daisy chain devices.

Assuming you have PCIe slots, I would look into the RME adat cards maybe?

chucklesmcfarland
studio intern

Post by chucklesmcfarland » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16 pm

kslight wrote:
chucklesmcfarland wrote:

Hmm that sucks. Well hopefully at least a couple years before I'm forced to upgrade?I only upgraded to 10.8 when Reason 7 came out and required at least 10.7 (was happily on 10.68).

Is downgrading your OS back to 10.8 an option?

I think your firewire options are pretty limited, unless you daisy chain devices.

Assuming you have PCIe slots, I would look into the RME adat cards maybe?

Nope, I'm using a MacBook Pro

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:23 pm

what are your convertors?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:04 am

Contact Apple and tell them you want to downgrade to 10.8?

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

downgrading

Post by alexdingley » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 am

kslight wrote:Contact Apple and tell them you want to downgrade to 10.8?
Sadly, that's not likely an option. As someone who worked for Apple for 7+ years, I learned that when new machines come out, the new CPU's aren't always able to be supported by older (yes, even slightly) older version of OS X. It's annoying, and maybe even deliberate... but my new Retina MBP can't go backwards. It's always ill-advised to try and install an OS that is previous to the one your Intel-based Mac came with.

Often, the installer for an OS X version won't recognize your machine if it's too new... so you'd get stopped at the door before you even did the erase and install part. I've heard tale of people hacking the installers to allow install on machines that aren't supported by an OS, but it's hairy and I wouldn't attempt it.

What the OP could do is grab a couple cheap, but supported, interfaces that have lightpipe, and set them up as an Aggregate I/O through the Audio MIDI Setup Utility in the Mac. You can gang multiple devices together, decide which one is the clock-master, and access all of the devices i/o as one new driver in your CoreAudio apps. - cumbersome, but doable.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: downgrading

Post by kslight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Since the OP has been exceptionally vague on pertinent details of their exact setup, it has not been made clear that they are using a brand new computer with 10.9 preloaded. A reinstall to a previous version could be possible. A new driver install could be possible. Etc etc?

So my rant to people asking for help?

"Help us help you, and provide as much info as possible, or don't be surprised if you don't get any useful advice"

Here's my last tip?you haven't specified what driver version you have installed, but make sure you have the latest driver installed?as it was updated for Lion, if not Mountain Lion?so you might get lucky.

I'm done trying to help though, since the OP clearly is not interested in receiving it.

chucklesmcfarland
studio intern

Re: downgrading

Post by chucklesmcfarland » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:06 pm

Pretty simple setup really

Console to Alesis AI3 to Lightbridge to Mac

This is a relatively old MacBook

I do realize that an erase and install would fix it but I was just curious if there was anyone else having the same. issue.

kslight wrote:Since the OP has been exceptionally vague on pertinent details of their exact setup, it has not been made clear that they are using a brand new computer with 10.9 preloaded. A reinstall to a previous version could be possible. A new driver install could be possible. Etc etc?

So my rant to people asking for help?

"Help us help you, and provide as much info as possible, or don't be surprised if you don't get any useful advice"

Here's my last tip?you haven't specified what driver version you have installed, but make sure you have the latest driver installed?as it was updated for Lion, if not Mountain Lion?so you might get lucky.

I'm done trying to help though, since the OP clearly is not interested in receiving it.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:23 am

Sooo you're not utilizing the the high channel count the light bridge allows? Just 8in/out over firewire?..

If that's the case then look for any interface with adat. Convertors have made significant jumps in quality since the ai3 was made.

And you'll get the added benefit of more ins and outs.

I imagine you'll still find a buyer for your light bridge as well.

chucklesmcfarland
studio intern

Post by chucklesmcfarland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 am

No, sorry for the confusion, I DO use all 36 channels, that's why I love the thing.
As for the AI3s, no, not great converters, but pretty economical with this high a track count.
For those still watching, I decided to downgrade the Mac to 10.6.8 and stay there. 10.9 was a stretch for this old MacBook anyway.

Now that we're on the subject, if anyone wants to pop in with converter upgrade suggestions I'd love to hear them.

norton wrote:Sooo you're not utilizing the the high channel count the light bridge allows? Just 8in/out over firewire?..

If that's the case then look for any interface with adat. Convertors have made significant jumps in quality since the ai3 was made.

And you'll get the added benefit of more ins and outs.

I imagine you'll still find a buyer for your light bridge as well.