Remembering Indigo Ranch Studios

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

guitarmakermark
audio school

Remembering Indigo Ranch Studios

Post by guitarmakermark » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 pm

So very sorry to hear of the destruction of Indigo Ranch, I have fond memories of that studio, which I would like to share here, iff?n y?all don?t mind?.
During the summer of 1977 I was commissioned by Indigo Ranch Studios to tune and prepare the studio?s grand piano for Neil Diamond, while Mr. Diamond was recording tracks for his ?I?m Glad You?re Here With Me Tonight album.?
I was told by the recording engineer that even though that piano was not going to be heard on the completed album, Mr. Diamond wanted the instrument to be freshly tuned for each recording session, two sessions per day for 10 or so working days. The engineer told me that Mr. Diamond would be using the piano for composing, arranging and brainstorming the upcoming album, due for release in November 1977. The routine would be that the tape would start rolling the moment Mr. Diamond walked into the studio, and would continue recording non-stop until Mr. Diamond left the studio, so as to not miss any and all sudden inspirations Mr. Diamond might put down during his sessions at Indigo.
So, for that two-week period, my workdays consisted of driving up that amazingly steep little road up out of Malibu proper, tuning and preparing the piano in time for the 10:00 am session, then leaving the Ranch and hanging out on the beach until roughly 1:00 pm, when I would return to the Ranch to tune and prepare the piano for Mr. Diamond?s afternoon session. Leaving the Ranch in the morning one day, I saw a white Audi nosing its way up the road toward the studio, and as we passed each other, it was Neil Diamond himself driving the Audi. Catching a glimpse of that profound artist was exciting for this 25-year-old piano tuner, believe you me!
Another day, arriving at the studio in time for the afternoon session, the engineer told me I would need to wait a bit because the recording was running overtime. While sitting and waiting, I was delighted to witness two female singers laying down the backup vocals to the line ?Let me take you in my arms again,? which I later heard on the released album track of the same name.
That was a magical time, a magical experience at a truly magical place?I?ll never forget Indigo Ranch Studios.

Thanks for reading, feedback is welcome!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Great story, thanks!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

guitarmakermark
audio school

Post by guitarmakermark » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:52 pm

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Awesome story!

I've got one of their plates, and it sounds amazing. an ekoplate III with custom electronics. wish i could have worked there or seen it in action.... but I get to hear a bit of it every day!

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

guitarmakermark
audio school

Post by guitarmakermark » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:01 am

Thank you....I appreciate that!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:35 am

I spent a few weeks there when some friends were recording an album.

Magical place.

And no, it was not "destroyed"...

Richard Kaplan still owns all the gear, is set up in Burbank, and has had some health issues

I do not know the details as to why the place was sold, however Richard's old business partner had passed away over ten years ago, and Richard's health issues probably meant he has to be closer to his doctor / care facility.

Here is their current FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/studiorathq
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drbob1
audio school

Post by drbob1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Anybody got any idea where and how the sale is going to be handled? Seems likely, if the prices from the amp sale were any guide, to be REALLY expensive!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Look at the above link.

Note:
"YES IT IS TRUE THAT THE REMAINDER OF RICHARD KAPLAN'S EQUIPMENT AND PARTS WILL BE SOLD IN AN ALL OR NOTHING AUCTION SOON WITH "NO" CHERRY PICKING OF SINGLE ITEMS ALLOWED"

and,

"Bidding is just over 400k at the moment."

Good luck!

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drbob1
audio school

Post by drbob1 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:32 pm

Ah, I didn't scroll down far enough. I guess bidding is by email? It's probably a steal at $400k but one would need to be in "the biz" and the area to realize a return on that investment I suspect. The amps are fairly lackluster, the pedals interesting although few "holy grails", not sure about the outboard gear, it sounds really interesting but there aren't pics of it on the flickr link that I can find. So, just for the stuff I'm cognizant of, that'd be pretty pricey.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Great story, and welcome to the TOMB!

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

FROM MY ONGOING PHOTO SERIES 1971

Post by supafuzz » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:46 am

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 pm

I met a guy with whom I am still best friends there. 1991.
And still friends as ever.

I learned that recording rock guitars must be done LOUD AS FUCK.

I learned to go on only 5 hours sleep, sans drugs. :)

I learned to play the electric blues guitar as well.

So many good memories.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:55 pm

drbob1 wrote:The amps are fairly lackluster
Just to shed some light: the majority of their amps were already sold in one big lot to Sonic Circus sometime around 2007--2010. Not sure of the exact timeframe, but I happened to be spending a lot of time in and around their headquarters in VT during that period. One day while I was there, they were trying out all the recently acquired Indigo amps prior to posting them on eBay. There were some real gems, I'm guessing what you're seeing now are just the leftovers.
Alex C. McKenzie