The Muscle Shoals Movie is on Netflix

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

The Muscle Shoals Movie is on Netflix

Post by alexdingley » Sun May 25, 2014 7:03 am

Just watching this movie this morning... it's great! Not nearly as gear-talk heavy as Sound City, as it's mostly about the musicians / the culture / the in-house band... but it's a decent watch.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

just started it

Post by supafuzz » Sun May 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Good so far, nice history, didn't realize that they played on the Staple singers record!
Just that was worth the price of admission.
I love the story about the river. I moved to a river town and understand the power of the river and how that affects everything. Can't wait to watch the rest tomorrow.
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon May 26, 2014 10:10 am

I started watching after I finished the Big Star doc. So far very interesting. Will probably finish it later this week.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed May 28, 2014 9:42 am

yeah, this a really great show.

Even my wife really liked it, and she not a musician (but likes music, especially the blues/roots).

Its a bit slow/long, but highly recommended.

An excellent story line/flow, and is interesting on a human element. The music is just an extra bonus for us. Those of you who haven't finished it, make it all the way to the end, because it really ends strongly (I think, anyway).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 28, 2014 12:39 pm

I loved it!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 29, 2014 7:58 am

I'll have to look for that one. I watched "20 Feet from Stardom" recently and that one is great too! Actually I watched it twice...

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:27 am

Just watched it and liked it but I feel like there should be a memo sent to all people making music docs that says -

#1) stop talking about how some place/studio/town/etc had magic in it and maybe talk about how a bunch of talented people managed to find each other and then worked really, really, really fucking hard. Stress the working hard part.

#2) for the love of god stop interviewing Bono and Sting. They were in no way involved in what-ever your subject is (punk, soul music, Bill Withers, etc, etc, etc) and it's obvious that you only interviewed them because their name looks good on the poster. They're wankers and only bring down the quality of your film.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:11 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Just watched it and liked it but I feel like there should be a memo sent to all people making music docs that says -

#1) stop talking about how some place/studio/town/etc had magic in it and maybe talk about how a bunch of talented people managed to find each other and then worked really, really, really fucking hard. Stress the working hard part.

#2) for the love of god stop interviewing Bono and Sting. They were in no way involved in what-ever your subject is (punk, soul music, Bill Withers, etc, etc, etc) and it's obvious that you only interviewed them because their name looks good on the poster. They're wankers and only bring down the quality of your film.
+1 on all that . . . although dragging in Famous Boomer Cadavers to endorse your subject (and, yes, to get their names on the poster) may be a necessary marketing evil.

I do wish the filmmakers had sought out the real story (what you said in #1, group effort of talented people -- as widely documented in many books and articles over the years) instead of constructing a different narrative that appealed to them but doesn't totally fit the facts, i.e., Rick Hall as the hero of the story. Yes, Hall's bio is fascinating, but Muscle Shoals Studio was founded by musicians *fleeing* Rick's operation at FAME -- and MSS is at least as big a part of the story as FAME is, when you look up what was cut where.

Nonetheless, glad to get any kind of serviceable doc on Muscle Shoals, Stax, Motown, Tom Dowd, Bob Moog, etc.. This stuff's important.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:39 am

Loved it. The footage of Duane Allman was priceless.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:Just watched it and liked it but I feel like there should be a memo sent to all people making music docs that says -

Agreed. Especially #2. I'm glad they didn't spend too much time with Bono.

I liked the doc quite a bit, and I really makes me wonder if that business model, or a label whit a house bands and a sound could work in today's market. Muscle Shoals, Motown, STAX, they all made it work and made great music. I'd love to try it, but I'm poor enough just keeping a studio open. I can't get into a label and salaries.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:49 am

drumsound wrote:makes me wonder if that business model, or a label whit a house bands and a sound could work in today's market. Muscle Shoals, Motown, STAX, they all made it work and made great music.
Daptone says yes.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:24 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
drumsound wrote:makes me wonder if that business model, or a label whit a house bands and a sound could work in today's market. Muscle Shoals, Motown, STAX, they all made it work and made great music.
Daptone says yes.
I'd like to do it without the "retro sound" but not sound like typical LA/Clear Channel BS either.

*sigh* I can dream.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:29 pm

I think it's do-able with or with-out the retro sound. If Booker T & The MGs, The Swampers, The Meters, The Wrecking Crew, The Funk Brothers, The Skatalites, and the Studio One band could do it so can you. All you need is the best players in the world and an affordable day rate. No problem.