DECENT / GOOD 2CH USB INTERFACE?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

BruceBanner
ass engineer

DECENT / GOOD 2CH USB INTERFACE?

Post by BruceBanner » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:04 am

I posted this in the gear forum, but this is probably the correct place for my question:

I am looking for a decent to great 2 channel USB audio interface for my home setup.

I was thinking at capping it out at the $500 mark, but I would be happy to pay less and if it's an amazing interface I could be persuaded to spend more. I will mostly be transferring old cassettes for reissue bonus tracks and transferring live quarter inch reels that are recorded at 7 1/2 IPS. Some vinyl transfers, but usually I send those straight to the mastering engineer if they are important.

If it were 4 or 8 channels I could also transfer my 4 track cassettes and 8 track reels, but that's not what I am looking for specifically.

It's gotta work with a PC, gotta be USB.

I have no idea what's even out there now a days and I am finding it harder and harder to get into the studio just to transfer stuff.

THANKS!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:32 am

I think the Audiobox line from Presonus, and the Saffire line from Focusrite are tough to beat for the price. Will run you a lot less than 5 bills for 2 channels.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:58 am

Those suggestions are really good -- for the Focusrite check out the Scarlett range too -- it's mostly USB, whereas the Saffire range is mostly Firewire.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Oops, yeah I meant to write Scarlett. The Scarlett and the Saffire lines are pretty much the same, except one is USB and the other is firewire/thunderbolt (you need an adapter for t-bolt).

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:28 pm

+1 on the focusrite saffire range. I LOVE mine!

BruceBanner
ass engineer

Post by BruceBanner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 am

Given the price range I could get the 8 channel one and get all my 8 track reels and 4 track cassettes done too.

Thanks for the advice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:23 am

I have the Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL as a USB Interface, and a Focusrite OctoPre Dynamic synced to it via Lightpipe. This gives me 16 mic pres in just a couple rack spaces, that all go to the computer via USB. Rock solid for me so far, and the preamps are very far from the limiting factor in my recordings.