PC OS's, multiple pooters, legacy DAW's, tite-arsedness

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

PC OS's, multiple pooters, legacy DAW's, tite-arsedness

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 am

Anybody else still running XP for their OS?

Onna dedicated audio computer?

With Cool Edit Pro?

Are ya tempted to try and modernize?

To what?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:27 am

I ran Win2K for the longest time. I was tempted to upgrade when there stopped being software offered for it. Updates, little utilities that make burning cd's, changing file types, security updates, etc., etc.

I've tried several times to switch to Linux, but audio seems pretty FUBAR on Linux to me.

Before everyone jumps out and calls me a newb, I'd like to point out that I've been running Linux computers non-stop (24/7/365) in my house for probably 15 years. I run a web/file server and a backup/media server. For a few years, I was running "thin clients," which weren't that easy to configure initially, but were a synch to maintain, throughout my house.

So, now I've got Windows 7 on my old, beater, Core2, ex-desktop for audio. I put in an SSD for fast booting. Granted, I only use this computer for final stereo mixdown now, but it meets my needs, running audacity. Bwahaha.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:06 pm

FWIW, I'm running CEP 2.1 on a old double 3K HP with XP Pro with a Delta 44 with breakout-box.

But I have some Win 8 laptops and am debating going to one of 'em, except the desktop is working so well and stable, just not nearly as fast as current stuff.

And truth be told, I really, really like CEP and know it inside and out.

But Reaper appears cool, and since I no longer smoke (how I used to spend time while files rendered - it's only been 8 years!) I really notice the wait time for rendering, mix-downs, etc.

And since I try to keep the XP macheen offa the internets I have add'l dead time transferring files via intranet to and from my Win8 'cheen.

But then, I'm already set-up, stable and paid for - them's good reasons not to update ...

Hence my questions.

Linux, BTW, would blow my mind, cause me to mentally overload, etc. A big problem for me is patience.

So, do I just work with my, as Clint says, limitations of XP and CEP, or do I get ambitchous and re-boot to Win8 and Reaper?

BTW -fuck Mac's, I say, and ya can't change my little mind. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 pm

My studio machine is only a couple years old, but I run XP32 with Reaper and SoundForge and I really can't imagine upgrading. Honestly, since all audio gets in and out of the thing via an old PCI card that is no longer supported, I don't think I could upgrade if I wanted to.

My live machine is a laptop running 7, but it's too damn slow to do all the things that I want to do, so I'll soon be up/downgrading to a more modern micro-machine and installing XP.

Among the other good fun of finding newer hardware with drivers for XP, the install disc for XP doesn't include SATA drivers, and newer machines are coming without IDE, so there's a bit of fucking around necessary to even get it to see a hard drive on which to install itself.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

I've used Reaper for three years or so and I pretty much love it. It just does what you want it to do. The included effects are basic, solid, and useful. Definitely worth the money.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:48 pm

Still have XP running Sonar 8 or something on my desktop machine. I almost never use it anymore. Mostly I use my laptop running Win7 with Studio One.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:50 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:I've used Reaper for three years or so and I pretty much love it. It just does what you want it to do. The included effects are basic, solid, and useful. Definitely worth the money.
If you are only going to listen to one thing I will ever post on this board, it should be this -

The Reaper demo is fully functional.

That alone should be reason enough to check it out. I run it on a plain Jane Dell Laptop, and it almost brings a tear to my eye every time I start it up. That's before you even get into the Reaper user community.

Do yourself a favor, and think it over.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

The 32 bit OSes can't directly work with much more than 3G of RAM, but the only time that becomes a problem for me is when I do stupid things with massively multi-sampled VSTis. Five or six separate instances of EZDrummer or Addictive Keys will get ugly...

But more modern mother boards will let you stick more RAM in them than that, and what I've done with all of my machines is to jam 8G in there, and then use RAMDisk to trick the OS into believing that the rest of the RAM is actually a hard drive. I put my page file on there, with the idea that paging operations will go faster (at the speed of RAM...) and avoid the disk bus altogether. IDK exactly what kind of improvement this gives me in performance, if any, but it doesn't seem to cause any harm.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm still on Mac 10.3.9 with Pro Tools 6.4 TDM. I have been using it for over ten years and at this point I almost want to see if it will keep kicking for another 10 years just for the hell of it (well that and lack of funds for a serious update of any sort). It's a solid machine. I get work done, it sounds great, nobody has any complaints; myself included.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 am

Regardless of what we use, if as Brett Siler says, "It's a solid machine. I get work done, it sounds great, nobody has any complaints; myself included," then that's all that really matters. Not being part of the audio equipment industrial complex can be liberating.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:36 am

Studiodawg wrote: audio equipment industrial complex
:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 am

I've also been getting in Reason over the last few years. I'm using Reason 3.0, I think they are on version 8 now, ha! There is some cool new stuff that I'd love to play with but also I'm also into working with what you have. I have a friend that made a full length with it 90% of it composed all on an Alesis Micron and a Tascam digital 4 track, and I think it's amazing! He pushed his equipment to the max before he even thought about upgrading. I think that's pretty cool.

Oh and here's his album by the way. I'm probably his biggest fan ha!
http://rebore.bandcamp.com/album/the-anathema-report

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:09 pm

98SE on a single core machine with less than 4GB RAM and less than half a Terabyte of disc...
ECHO Layla 24 converters and a 13 year old version of Cubase with decade old plugins!

i'll migrate to something more modern when i have positive cashflow. :lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca