Console/Channel Strip style plug-in for Logic X?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Console/Channel Strip style plug-in for Logic X?

Post by Corey Y » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 am

I've been using URS Channel Strip Pro with Logic 9 for several years. Usually with some different dynamic and EQ emulations on individual tracks as necessary and then several instances of identical style emulations on my groups and stereo bus, to approximate a traditional console. It made for an easy transition from hardware to mixing in the box and I've had a lot of good results from that approach. Well, I wasn't aware until I upgraded to Logic X with a new Mac that URS stopped updating the plugin years ago and despite some new several years ago that there was a 64 bit version on the way, it's apparently a dead product now and I can't use it with Logic X.

Can anyone recommend a good quality 64 bit native console/channel strip plugin? Preferably something with a few of the more popular dynamic and EQ emulations (Neve, SSL, etc.) and not too much of a CPU hog. I'm doing my own research, but I figured I'd utilize the excellent resource of my fellow TapeOpers to help out with some real world experience. Something with a HPF/LPF and input gain emulation is a big bonus. The URS was a great resource, I'm really bummed to lose it.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:20 pm

http://goo.gl/cviNvR

I use the channel strip that's native to their console app (I have their interfaces). This production bundle comes with some extra stuff.

But, I'm just a hobbyist and to be completely honest get a little lost with EQs and compression. I think, however, if you research a bit, you'll see their stuff is well regarding by people worth regarding more than me.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:49 pm

comfortstarr wrote:http://goo.gl/cviNvR

I use the channel strip that's native to their console app (I have their interfaces). This production bundle comes with some extra stuff.

But, I'm just a hobbyist and to be completely honest get a little lost with EQs and compression. I think, however, if you research a bit, you'll see their stuff is well regarding by people worth regarding more than me.
Interesting, I'll definitely look into the demo. I've never used any of the Metric Halo plugins, but I've read and heard good things from other people. The fact that it name drops the SLL style sound is a plus. That's the type of emulation I use almost always on very light group/bus compression when mixing.

Any other suggestions would be greatly welcome. I have tried a few demos over the past year on some single song projects (McDSP Channel G, Izotope Alloy) that worked ok, but nothing grabbed me enough to buy it immediately.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:19 pm

Being as you stated you like the SSL stuff:

http://store.solidstatelogic.com/catalog/31

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Re: Console/Channel Strip style plug-in for Logic X?

Post by playonbrother » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:47 pm

I would suggest this....

http://www.slatedigital.com/products/vmr

Hope all is well,

Al
Corey Y wrote:I've been using URS Channel Strip Pro with Logic 9 for several years. Usually with some different dynamic and EQ emulations on individual tracks as necessary and then several instances of identical style emulations on my groups and stereo bus, to approximate a traditional console. It made for an easy transition from hardware to mixing in the box and I've had a lot of good results from that approach. Well, I wasn't aware until I upgraded to Logic X with a new Mac that URS stopped updating the plugin years ago and despite some new several years ago that there was a 64 bit version on the way, it's apparently a dead product now and I can't use it with Logic X.

Can anyone recommend a good quality 64 bit native console/channel strip plugin? Preferably something with a few of the more popular dynamic and EQ emulations (Neve, SSL, etc.) and not too much of a CPU hog. I'm doing my own research, but I figured I'd utilize the excellent resource of my fellow TapeOpers to help out with some real world experience. Something with a HPF/LPF and input gain emulation is a big bonus. The URS was a great resource, I'm really bummed to lose it.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:43 pm

When I get a little extra cash, i'm going to get the softube summit channel strip.
http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=summitgc

The Eventide Ultrachannel is nice too. I think Softube makes an SSl type channelstrip as well.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:11 pm

blungo2 wrote:When I get a little extra cash, i'm going to get the softube summit channel strip.
http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=summitgc

The Eventide Ultrachannel is nice too. I think Softube makes an SSl type channelstrip as well.
I love that Summit Audio stuff. Used to use their hardware. the plug ins are close enough for rock n roll. But not EXACT duplicates. Those are some complicated beasts.

I own the Softube version "Grand Channel" which has the EQ and compressor, and them together. Like it on piano and keyboards, bass.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:38 am

The Eventide Ultra Channel it really cool. It's got all the standards including 2 compressors, gate, EQ PLUS delay and micro shift. There are a couple different curves in the EQ bands, and each module can be moved around to change the signal flow.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Unfortunately I haven't had the budget to buy a new channel strip plug-in yet, with a new baby at home and my wife not working, but I finished my last big mixing job on Logic 9 with the URS plug-ins and I don't have anything else lined up right now anyway (fortunately/unfortunately?). Plenty of good suggestions for me to chew on, I need to try out some demos. I'm trying to sell some surplus effects pedals, hopefully that will fund a purchase or two in the new year.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm not much of a channel strip guy, to be honest. I usually rely on FabFilter gate/eq/comp to do the heavy lifting. But...

Recently, I've been having a blast playing with Boz Labs +10db. It's not a Swiss-Army-knife do-everything channel strip, but what it does, it does really, really well. The EQ bands being in parallel rather than in series gives it a sound that I can't replicate with my other plugins.

It's only $100 as I write this, which is like half-off, I think.

http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/10db-bundle/

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:55 pm

In the past i haven't been much of a channel strip guy either, it just seemed to work better to mix and match. Recently though, i did spring for the Softube grand channel and it's quite nice.

The Boz does look interesting too. I'll have to check out the demo.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:05 am

John Jeffers wrote:Recently, I've been having a blast playing with Boz Labs +10db. It's not a Swiss-Army-knife do-everything channel strip, but what it does, it does really, really well. The EQ bands being in parallel rather than in series gives it a sound that I can't replicate with my other plugins.

It's only $100 as I write this, which is like half-off, I think.

http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/10db-bundle/
This thing sounds great, I spent an hour last night trying to match the sound with other stuff I have in order quell my needs. I failed miserably, the low end options with the EQ and comp going are awesome. Like you said, not a swiss-army channel strip though. It takes up almost my whole screen too.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:10 pm

I ended up going with the Metric Halo Channel Strip 3, after trying some demos, looking at features and prices. It was the least expensive, the most widely positively reviewed of my short list choices and it sounded really good with the projects I tried it on. It does lack some of the "character" features of some others, but I figured for the price I saved I might buy a couple stand alone compressor, EQ or saturation plug-ins to fill the gaps. The only feature it doesn't have is HPF and LPF as a separate section that I can place first in my chain, before compression, but I can use Logic's stock plug-ins for that before the CS3, as it's purely functional for how I like my signal chain.