keyboard for ipad synths?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

keyboard for ipad synths?

Post by joninc » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:24 pm

wondering if anybody could recommend something that integrates well with ipad2 and synths like poly6 etc....

did i mention not too expensive? ($100 ish)
the new rules : there are no rules

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:12 am

Anything with USB MIDI paired with a camera connection kit and a USB hub. You will need a powered USB hub. Otherwise, I've plugged in all kinds of things. Or, you could go with an IK Multimedia iRig MIDI and use DIN connectors, but the iRig itself is $99. Actually, if you don't already have a way to connect a keyboard you're going to have a hard time fitting everything into $100. If you do, almost anything will do - I like the USB powered options that have faders and stuff on them. Korg makes a really small one, Akai and Alesis make some good ones (I might go more for Akai if you want some drum pads), and of course there's M-Audio, which I haven't checked out lately.

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:07 am

The answer is generally anything MIDI on USB.

I have a cheap MAudio one that works fine - just need a USB adapter (the iPad Camera Connection Kit) and power for the keyboard. The Dock Connector on the iPad doesn't really provide power over the USB port.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:49 am

I have one of the recent M-Audio Oxygen keyboard controllers and it works great with the iPad -- just the camera connection kit, no USB hub -- the keyboard is powered by the iPad. Great if you're just working in the iPad (you can't charge the iPad as you work this way though). Price is going to depend on how many keys you want. If you want audio out too, then you're probably better off looking for one of the compatible audio interfaces with midi -- check out Roland and Focusrite for affordable options that play well with the iPad. At that point it won't matter what keyboard you use as long as it's got midi out.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:40 am

Great tips guys. Thanks.

I would want to be able to record the sound so I guess I do also need audio out so maybe an interface is actually what I want. I do have a few keyboards with midi that could serve as controllers.

I'll check out the ones mentioned. Any other recommends for a simple interface? I don't need mic pres or anything. Just midi and line out puts to send the synth stuff out of.
the new rules : there are no rules

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:45 am

You can also always use the headphone output for recording. I've done it before, and had it work out fine.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

IanWalker wrote:You can also always use the headphone output for recording. I've done it before, and had it work out fine.
I've had some success with this, and I've noticed that a lot of synth apps can overdrive the built-in DAC on the iPad 2, so if I'm stuck with the headphone outs, I find the master volume in the app and drop that down. Lowering the iPad volume control itself did not help in these situations.

The question of the iPad powering the keyboard is actually based on the iOS version you are running. With iOS 7 my iPad 2 specifically will not provide any power over the 30-pin connector, and it will continuously give error messages if a device requests power on that port. Using a powered hub solves everything for me.

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Lots of good iPad audio interface recommendations here: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/490/r ... -interface

Some interfaces/midi keyboards will work fine without a powered hub. Can be a bit of a crap shoot though. I see the akai MPK25 on craigslist and used gear shops for $75-$125. But yeah, if you have a MIDI interface and existing keyboards, might as well spend that on an interface. Ipad has some nice/interesting effects apps too now so getting something with line inputs can be put to good use.