Pro Tools 9 plugins in 2014

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

clean_and_humble
takin' a dinner break

Pro Tools 9 plugins in 2014

Post by clean_and_humble » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:35 am

Hey all

I recently used my 2nd install of Pro Tools 9 on my Macbook pro and had to re download the plugins that came in my bundles that I got when I bought Pro Tools. This left me with some gaps. I really want the Fairchild plugins and Moogerfooger bundle but I kinda do not want to pay 299 for the fairchild plugins....Anyway this got me thinking about Pro Tools 9 plugin shopping in 2014 what with all the rage and marketing being geared toward the new formats AAX or whatever its called. Anyone like me still using PT9 and not intending to update have any plugin recommendations ?

I intend to download all the Blue Cat free plugins and the VST wrapper so feel free to suggest VST 's as well. I also have the Komplete Elements installed and a Nomad Factory Producer Pak but I am looking to get things I used to have without spending a fortune. I used to have the Focusrite D series and Fairchild and bombfactory plugs and many other things way back in the days of Realverb and "free" plugins wink wink

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 am

Hi,

AAX is really better on PT 10 and 11. It was buggy on that release of 9 when they were still using us as guinea pigs. To be able to get all the plug ins you want / need, you need to look at:

Pro tools version.
+
Mac OS version.
=
Correct version of plug in.

Then make sure you download the correct version plug in for the licenses or free stuff you want to have on this computer.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 am

I'm running PT 9.0.6, but on Windows. It's pretty stable for me most of the time.

you might check out the Massey plugins. They are all "free" in demo mode. you just can't save settings. most likely after you work with a few you will want to buy them though and they are very reasonable.

also, Waves sells plugins a lot cheaper than they used to - even the maintenance is not as pricey as it used to be.

The Slate Digital stuff sounds great but not always the most stable and they are pretty slow to get fixes out (since new products and features always seem to be higher priority).

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

clean_and_humble
takin' a dinner break

Post by clean_and_humble » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 am

Thank you for this reply
gonna check out those plugins today

Downloaded the bluecat free plugins
and I think I am going to buy that blue cat vst wrapper plugin
so I can start using some of the free vst's in Pro Tools

most likely going to buy the fairchild plugins again

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:20 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:The Slate Digital stuff sounds great but not always the most stable and they are pretty slow to get fixes out (since new products and features always seem to be higher priority).
Ha, yeah, given that it's now 17 months after PT 11's release, and we still don't have compatible versions of most of their plugins, I'd say "pretty slow" is an understatement.

PeterAuslan
gettin' sounds

Post by PeterAuslan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 pm

I am very happy with the Stillwell Audio Vibe EQ and the Kush UBK-1 compressor.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:18 am

Avid seems to be offering a $199 upgrade to PT 10/11 right now.

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDeta ... store=shop

That would be $100 off the normal "upgrade" from PT9, but I still have not convinced myself to go there. I'm pretty sure it will cost me much more than $100 I would save to upgrade all my plugins to AAX - and that's assuming everything is even available in AAX. And my rig is fairly stable right now...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:37 pm

You owe it to yourself to check out the current sale at plugin alliance and also plugindiscounts before the year is up. I just spent a small fortune, but I am giddy about having a bunch of plugins that are ridiculously good and normally way out of my budget, namely the Elysia Mpressor and the SPL Passeq.

clean_and_humble
takin' a dinner break

Post by clean_and_humble » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:58 pm

FNM wrote:You owe it to yourself to check out the current sale at plugin alliance and also plugindiscounts before the year is up. I just spent a small fortune, but I am giddy about having a bunch of plugins that are ridiculously good and normally way out of my budget, namely the Elysia Mpressor and the SPL Passeq.
looks like I missed the boat but I am still not looking to upgrade my pro tools. I am happy on PT 9 and still searching for plugins that work with my system. I really wish there was some budget rebated way to buy the bomb factory classic compressors bundle and the moogerfooger bundle.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 pm

clean_and_humble wrote:
FNM wrote:You owe it to yourself to check out the current sale at plugin alliance and also plugindiscounts before the year is up. I just spent a small fortune, but I am giddy about having a bunch of plugins that are ridiculously good and normally way out of my budget, namely the Elysia Mpressor and the SPL Passeq.
looks like I missed the boat but I am still not looking to upgrade my pro tools. I am happy on PT 9 and still searching for plugins that work with my system. I really wish there was some budget rebated way to buy the bomb factory classic compressors bundle and the moogerfooger bundle.
Did you ever get the VST wrapper? Seems like that would open up a whole world of low price or free options.

Maybe check out the Klaghelm DC8C, a great compressor that comes in pretty much every format and is just over $20. He also has a new one coming out soon. Hornet plugins does RTAS and has a good compressor called the Multicomp that is closer to $40, but they do sales often.

clean_and_humble
takin' a dinner break

Post by clean_and_humble » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:58 am

I bought the patchwork wrapper and I love it !

Downloaded a bunch of free vst's
will look up the ones you are talking about
thank you

I still think at the end of the day I am gonna breakdown and buy the bombfactory bundle
and the moogerfooger bundle

I just hate clicking through those prompts and even if I disable them
I feel cheated because I know I don't have them. I dunno I just still think that they are kinda old plugins by now and there should be some kinda sale price.

If I bought the both bundles from avid I would be paying over 600 dollars.
I mean I know that is way less than trying to buy an actual Fairchild 660
but considering I am buying a UA Solo 610 I dunno I feel like this would be a waste of money