What's yer fave guitar amp to record?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

What's yer fave guitar amp to record?

Post by vvv » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:52 pm

About 5 years back, I helped my then guitarist find a Mesa Express 5:25 with the graffic EQ (I think he payed about US$650).

Man, was that a great sounding amp. I recorded it with various AKG and Shure dynamics and a ribbon room mic on a album project.

It comes to mind because I'd sure like to record one now with the knowledge and even equipment I now have ...

I loved the relatively low power (it was still loud) and especially the EQ and gain flexibility, just a great sound no matter what guitar was used, and if it didn't get the Marshall buzz&crunch thing by itself, it took pedals very nicely - but it sounded especially cool when the other guitarist used a Marshall.

Someday I'll own one, but not until I find one for well under a grand. :(

The reason this comes to mind, BTW, is my new guitarist has a Studio .22 Caliber, which I understand eventually morphed to the Express - another sweet amp and I'm looking forward to recording that!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mn412
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mn412 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:17 pm

My '62 AC-30. New voxes are ok but, my old one is a holy grail type of amp. For some kind of tones I also really like my fender champ. For approx what your friend paid I'd look at a silverface Princeton Reverb (never mind just checked out the prices for old silverfaces and they are pretty expensive. ) I haven't checked them out personally but the new fender 68 reissues supposedly sound really good.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:48 am

Take my response with a grain of salt, because I've never had access to the huge number of high-end/vintage/boutique amps that a lot of the pros here have.

That said, a friend of mine had a Hot Rod Deville (4x10 - there's also a 2x12 version), and regardless of how I mic'd it, it always sounded great. I mean to the point that if we were live tracking with my VERY limited mic selection, I could pick the best mic for each of the other sources, and put whatever piece of shit was left in front of the Deville, and it would STILL sound good. It probably wouldn't be the right amp for me at all times, because I play less of the classic rock/blues than my friend did, but if that vein is close to the sound you're looking for, check it out. I'm guessing if you normally record Marshalls and Mesa's, it's not quite the right pony for you. Takes well to pedals, though, so who knows.

My own amps are all relatively low wattage. The most versatile of them, touted on the TapeOp boards many times for those on a budget, is the vox pathfinder 15R.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:57 am

Having played most of them over my 50+ years playing guitar I learned what I like and built it. I use a 1965 Fender Showman head with custom preamps, a tube effects loop and 6CA7 power tubes. I also have a tweaked up 1966 Fender Deluxe Reverb, a great recording amp I jacked up to 80 watts with 6550 power tubes and 100 watt transformers.

Both are unique designs that do most everything I want a guitar amp to do. I also have some Basson Sound heads and a 4x12 cab. I designed those for the company and kept a few. I use those if I need major league SPL's as they are 125 watts each.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:03 am

Never recorded a tube Vox, but I do love my Pathfinder 15R!

The Hot Rod Deville sounds OK and I worked with one for a couple of days, but I have to say I was not impressed by the build, at all; I felt it was relatively fragile and the cab vibrated far too much at volume, which I thought probably detracted from the sound.

But speaking of volume, I can't imagine successfully recording a Showman (I saw Dick Dale recently - I think those were Showmans - LOUD!)or even a 80 watt amp in my little house. I run my Jubilee on 25 watts, my HD130 on 60 watts, and they are loud. I sold a Mark IIB because, even with a Powersoak, it wasn't useble to its full potential. (Why I want an Express!)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:52 pm

I don't have experience with a ton of amps, but I'm always happy with the sounds I get out of my JCM 800, Champ and Backstair HT-5. I probably use the HT-5 the most because it sounds like the 800 does, but at a much lower volume.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm

I love my Blue Tolexed Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III.

That Single 12" speaker has everything I need.

I only wish I could buy more of them. One day...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:28 am

I have seen the Hot Rod Deluxe mentioned in many interviews, and even as being required on band riders.

Amps are, BTW, worse than mic's if ya "collect" 'em. Not necessarily the expense, altho' that too, but the required space ...

As in the New Gear thread, I just gotta Jet City 1x12" (blue!) to go with my Tiny Terror, and I believe that is gonna be a really nice recording rig ...

I s'pose I should add that the worse "amp" I've worked with is The Pod, tho' I never actually recorded one, just worked with sent tracks.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:18 am

I've liked my Traynor YBA-3, and Jcm 800 for doing head/cab type stuff.

Combos: Ampeg gemini, Blues Jr., most any other Fender can be cool.

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:24 pm

This would be my pick:

http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-5r/

AMAZING tube tone clean or dirty at low volumes. It's what a Fender Blues Jr. wishes it could be.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:05 am

I have a whole lot of amps.
Fender Pro Jr is one that no studio should be without.

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 am

Did a punk band a while back, and one of the guys played this Marshall that was impossible to record a bad sound with.

50 watt JCM800.

He had an Avatar 2x12 cab, in addition to his 4x12 he played shows with. I really wish I remembered what speakers were in that cab - I know they were two different speakers though, so micing each side was a little bit different.

Those two coupled together sounded great. But what really did it for me was that it was the 50watt version, so it wasn't QUITE so damn loud (home studio, no real isolation) but really nailed the vibe of a loud Marshall.
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:35 am

roscoenyc wrote:I have a whole lot of amps.
I've heard that a lot on here. How different is the Pro Jr. from the Blues Jr. really?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:29 pm

The "classic" Fender Bassman design and all of its derivatives (Marshall, Traynor, etc).

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 am

losthighway wrote:
roscoenyc wrote:I have a whole lot of amps.
I've heard that a lot on here. How different is the Pro Jr. from the Blues Jr. really?
No master.
Just volume and tone.
Incredible range from those 2 knobs.