The real underground is offline...

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Mostly on-topic aside-- anyone interested in the pre-Internet history of the cultural underground should check-out one of my former professor's, Chuck Mancuso's, works titled "Popular Music & The Underground." A great expose of the underground that has always been...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 pm

surprised that nobody linked to this, from a few days ago

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/ ... LK20131111

Victims Soroush and Arash Farazmand, who were brothers, were the guitarist and drummer in the Yellow Dogs, a band that formed in Iran's capital and performed covertly before its members sought political asylum in the United States in 2010, their publicist Ashley Ayers said.

Their bodies were found early on Monday in a house in the scruffy, semi-industrial neighborhood of East Williamsburg, Brooklyn, popular with musicians and artists, according to police.

Ali Eskandarian, described by the band publicist as a friend who also played music, was killed as well. All three had gunshot wounds to the head or chest.

The suspected gunman, whose identity police had not confirmed, was found dead on the roof of the building with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head and a rifle next to his body, police said.

He was an Iranian musician in another band and knew the Yellow Dogs from Tehran before they had a falling out, Ayers said.

edit: gunman used to be in another iranian band "Free Keys"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah, I read the story CNN had on it yesterday, here, with a prior interview.

Also, another vid interview.

There's a bunch of Uchoob footage of the bands, actually.

That stuff's like, the real underground.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

specialreport
audio school graduate

re: offline ...

Post by specialreport » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:19 am

see www.osr-tapes.com . newly offline only record label : )

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:01 pm

My plan is to be so far underground that I never have a fan, that no media ever writes an article about my work and no one ever hears or reads anything I've ever written. So far I am totally fucking killing it.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:15 am

joelmoore wrote:My plan is... no one ever reads anything I've ever written
Uh oh. You shouldn't have posted that. :lol:

Your post was clearly tongue-in-cheek, but I think there'd be validity to actually doing that. Makes me think of Henry Darger-- the guy made tons of paintings and wrote lots of stories that no one saw or knew about until after he was dead. You didn't add, "until after I'm dead", so that's another story.

It brings up an interesting question... is art's value dependent on its being shared?

Everything we do will be washed away in the eternity of time, and we're tiny specks in a vast universe. I'm not sure it makes a difference either way. To each, his/her own. At least, that's how I see it.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:24 pm

You're right I should've qualified the statement with some type of requirement for posthumous recognition since everything underground seems somehow ruled by gravity and must surface eventually. And of course, it's best(according to the legislators at the Department of Hip) if the central character isn't still around to enjoy the late-arriving admiration. None of this earning the respect of your peers shit for me though. Fuhgheddaboudit...

But yeah Darger. Incredible his world. I caught the exhibit at the Museum of American Folk Art in NYC and was truly blown away. Without his life story though his work wouldn't have made any sense. But none of that matters. Because work like that is an exorcism for the creator and nothing else.

For a true outsider living simply begats some created element. There is no expectation of reception or establishment of value. For "artists" however, the created element is what they believe to be their life's value. And most often the price that a stranger will pay for that product is directly proportional to the level of self-worth in the "artist"(despite what they tell themselves or others). "Artists" are essentially needy frauds. True genius just is, whether recognized or monetized or not. And like stupid, it is as it does.

"In the end of all things,
it's just you and the vortex
Your mind melted away clear
into fully aware
All trite troubles and schemes
burned off purged
by the optic
cause you don't have to go home
but you can't stay here"
Dear God, Please make me Polvo or Ween or Townes Van Zandt or some combination of the three.