Good MIDI keyboard controller?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Good MIDI keyboard controller?

Post by kslight » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:08 am

Looking for a good MIDI controller keyboard with knobs and faders. I have a couple cheap MAudio keyboards that were cheap but the keyboard itself sucks, oftentimes notes get stuck or controls are unresponsive or too responsive.... So obviously I want something above that level, that would hold up to stage use. 61+ keys minimum. This will be used to control a synth so I don't need weighted actions really. The only model I've heard good things about really is the Novation Remote SL series, and I can get that but wanted to see if anyone had any other experience. I'm inclined not to buy another MAudio however...

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:36 am

novation is good stuff. i have the nocturne 61. good response curves and aftertouch, much better than the cheap m-audio i had before.

i play on stage and it works out well. touch sensative knobs make the menu system work really well. the automap software takes a little getting used to but the integration is great. even if you're using software that doesn't have official maps with automap you can make your own and customize literally any function.

they can also function as DAW controllers.
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:53 pm

I'm bouncing this ancient thread. My little Yamaha controller has two dead keys and I need a new one. I now have a 5 1/2 year-old and we want to get him at least experimenting with piano (and we don't want to pull the trigger on an actual piano yet).

I was thinking something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboard ... ital-piano

It could kill two birds with one stone. The previous version--CDP-120--gets really good reviews from the piano crowd (it seems). But, then I wonder if I'd miss some of the typical "midi" controller things. So... I wonder about getting this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboard ... controller. The kid could still learn a bit, and I'd get the nifty gizmos.

Any thoughts?

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:00 am

I went with a Casio CDP-130. It's a full-sized (88 key) digital piano. Found a good deal on it. I'm not a piano player by any stretch of the imagination. But, to my exceedingly novice fingers and ears, it's a pretty great facsimile. It connects to the computer directly with USB (so no midi-interface required). For controlling virtual instruments in Logic it's working swell. No, it doesn't have any dials or pads like more synth-ish controllers have, but for me that's not a big deal. Frankly, I even like that it has speakers. It's fun to just turn it on and play without mucking with a computer. One of its grand piano sounds and two of its electric piano sounds are actually really good. The five year-old is also digging it.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:50 pm

I determined that there's no such thing as a decent, reasonably priced, standalone midi keyboard controller.

However my Pro 2 is probably the best I own now, I got rid of the module that I was gonna use a standalone controller for? Also Lemur on iPad.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 am

I've had the same response. Every one I ever bought or used broke. Finally I gave up on them and I just use synths as midi controlers, but that doesn't really help you out for live shows. Also that last time I really tried a bunch of them must have been seven or eight years ago. I would say that I can't believe that no one would have come out with a solid, viable option by now but.... well, I can believe it.

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 am

I guess I'm used to synth action - the keys of real pianos seem really heavy to me now.

Having said that, I've had three inexpensive m-audios (1-88 and 2-49) in my rig for years now, and they've worked out fine.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:57 am

I'm using a Novation 61 MkII. I like the action on it over the Roland JX8P and line 6 kb37 I have, but I'm just a guitar guy.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:19 am

Thread of the undead

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:35 pm

I'm trying to find some more info on the Yammy Mx-61 and 49 synth..Even tho Yamaha is calling it a controller. Heard some of the sounds on line sounds decent. Supposed to be some of the sounds from the Motif series..Hooks to 'puter and works with Cubase but not sure if it does any other Daws tho..