Where did all the smart, funny & nice people go?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 pm

A doosh izza doosh izza doosh izza doosh.

That's why I use a screen-name/alias/a/k/a.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:47 pm

kslight wrote:I dunno if facebook commenting, trip advisor, yelp reviews...are an indicator of anything, it's that using real names doesn't seem to prevent a lot of people from being rude and confrontational. Not attacking you, just stating what I've noticed...too many people bitching and being awful to each other online, and feeling like they need to publish that.
You're absolutely right. That's why I said "just for me." And sometimes it's still an issue because, well, I'm still a dick. But I'm working on it.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:52 am

I've only recently started posting again because I had largely stopped recording when my daughter was born five years ago. I'm finally getting to the point where I can get some time in the basement again and I also made the brilliant decision to ditch the computer and get a portable multi track that allows me to record my band live in our rehearsal studio. Recording is much more interesting for me now that I can record us all playing live.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:40 am

I used to visit quite often -- had a very long running thread a long while back ...about not editing or visually seeing WAV's..... still there :lol:
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:17 am

I was wondering the same thing a few months ago and almost started this same thread subject. It's kinda sad. I can't complain because I didn't come here for years when I tried to be off the 'net more.

I do miss the old days when this was one of the very rare message boards that had just one or two forums. Was is "General Recording" and "Computers"? I don't know what is up with the trend nowadays to have 60 #*$^&@ forums for every little subject. Tapeop has always been the best in that regard. I also miss Myspace a lot.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:42 pm

I agree about the subforms especially with the amount of traffic. It can make more sense when the forum traffic is really high.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:51 pm

I have a tendency to lurk. Mainly in the gear talk/ for sale section. I used to be on more. But sadly, and fortunately, i found myself too busy lately to think about being on here a lot. As many of you sound peeps know, its hard to have a social life as an engineer and that small portion of my life takes precedent over TOMB.

Hey, Mike, was rather sad your studio tour didn't include the northwest.
You ever feel like pedaling your wares in montana feel free to come bug me.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:43 pm

It's not just here; I've noticed over on groupdiy that many of the more knowledgeable posters have left, and r/e/p fell apart fairly completely.

Kind of wonder if this is happening also on computer-music-oriented boards. Do people still care about recording with microphones?

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:09 pm

... I care
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 am

I've just been hanging at my local mall by the recently closed Radio Shack asking kids if they want to write in my journal. same thing different place.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:12 am

sorry, posting problem
Last edited by Michael_Joly on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

big oops, sorry
Last edited by Michael_Joly on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

wish I could delete these multiple posts
Last edited by Michael_Joly on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Wagz wrote:...Hey, Mike, was rather sad your studio tour didn't include the northwest.
You ever feel like pedaling your wares in montana feel free to come bug me.
Hey Wagz, I never got on the road! We had so much snow I lost 4 days of shop time and didn't feel right leaving my wife here to deal with what turned out to be weekly snow storms for 6 weeks.

Now that we're finally moving into spring I'm going to start over, do some local (Boston / Cambridge) studio visits, and put a call out for potential venues in a larger swath of the country.

btw - for the benefit of folks who may not know ... I'm planning a studio tour where I'l bring my mics, my Neumann mics (and Coles 4038) for some chat and demo. I'll work together with studio owners to create a win-win-win (for the studio, studio visitors and myself) situation. I think I can help bring in new prospects to the studios, the studio owner gets to introduce themselves / gear and space, and the studio visitors get to check out some vintage Neumann mics and my own new mics (and we'll probably do a door prize for an MJE mic). Stay tuned!

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:47 am

I'd agree that these days the "knowledgebase" is generally full enough, and so people are searching for existing answers instead of asking the same question again. Myself included - when I got the car extended warranty offer in the mail, I did a basic search on Google and found several semi-recent discussions. Question answered well enough for my purposes, so no need to sign up, become "part of the community", etc.

Most of the live sound forums I frequent stay reasonably busy with smart people hanging around. That's because things are still changing pretty fast in that world. In the recording world it's either questions that were answered 20 years ago or are better served on a software developer's forum for the absolute latest info.